17 - Nearly Losing Our Heads

By nightfall, it seemed evident that we all were going to be left in the pits. The paralyzing drug had worn off, but there was no getting out of there. Even if we managed to climb up and lift the bamboo covering, they were watching us and would strike us down easily. We had been listening and heard other pirates try and fail to escape out of the other holes in the area.

Harry and the mermaid were sitting on one side of the pit while Louis and I sat on the other. The mermaid's chest was rising and falling slowly and her skin was peeling. She needed water more than anything. We were all starving and wondered if they were going to starve us to death. They couldn't possibly be that cruel...could they?

Louis shifted next to me, tracing an exposed vein of gold on the wall with his finger. "I should have settled with the gold by the beach."

"But Captain, whatever lies in the Cave of Embers will be well worth the trouble we've run into." Harry said.

"What could be better than all this?" Louis replied, staring at the golden streaks in the walls.

"The prophecy clearly says there's something beyond comprehension hidden at the center. We can easily comprehend gold. Therefore, what lies in the cave must be more valuable than all the gold on the entire island." Harry argued.

"I could buy the world with this much gold." Louis huffed.

"Exactly. So imagine what awaits us." Harry raised an eyebrow.

"If we ever get out of here." When Louis rolled his eyes, I could see how disappointed he was. 

He shuffled around and then lay in the dirt beside me, staring above us. I did the same, feeling exhausted from the day's events. My throat felt scratchy from lack of water and my stomach kept making noises. As I lay staring up at the dark sky, I felt something wet fall on my cheek. It wasn't long before I realized it was rain. It certainly wouldn't be pleasant trying to sleep in a puddle.

But when I glanced over at the mermaid, she was gazing hopefully up at the sky. Perhaps a little rain would help her to feel better. Almost instantly as I watched raindrops splash onto her body, it seemed to heal her. The soft shimmery glow of her skin returned and she slumped down against Harry with a sigh. Sleeping in a puddle would be fine if it meant she was going to be okay.

The next morning we were woken by loud voices. They were shouting into the other pits where the rest of the pirates were being kept. I heard the word "leader" and guessed they were searching for Louis. The bamboo covering over us was lifted and a muscular man looked down at us.

"Where is your leader?" He demanded in a thick accent.

We all stayed silent. There was no telling what they might do with Louis. But then I heard someone shout, "I'm the leader!"

"Liam!" Louis groaned under his breath as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

We were left alone as I assumed the natives went over to Liam's pit.

"I can't let him do this." Louis stood to his feet, preparing to turn himself in, but I grabbed his arm.

"No, don't. You don't know what they're planning to do." I said.

"If they're about to kill him, I don't want him to take my place." He replied.

"They're probably simply going to question him. They don't know why we're here. He's just trying to protect you, that's his job." I tried to convince him.

"Why do you care?" He glared at me.

Stepping back, I dropped my grip from his forearm. "I told you if I had the chance to save your life, I would."