1 - Taken Captive

Running through the dark, abandoned streets, I clutched my pack and kept to the shadows, not wanting to draw attention to myself. The relief of having been able to slip out of the house unseen was giving me renewed determination to get as far from that place as possible.

I would never go back there.

My disguise was fantastic, I thought to myself. No one would be able to tell who I really was unless my hood came off. My long dark hair was tied securely under my hood. In these trousers and boots, I looked like a man, not a runaway slave girl.

Aleister Harrison had abused me for the last time. Never again would I bend to his will or take the consequences if I didn't. While I was his favorite slave, I was also his favorite to punish. I had always wanted to be free, to leave my owners and after countless escape attempts throughout my life, tonight was my first success.

Hurrying silently for a good ten minutes, I came across a street cluttered with saloons and drunk people laughing and stumbling about. When I caught sight of an officer heading my way, I scurried into one of the loud establishments and melted into the crowd.

I would only stay a moment until the officer had passed. The saloon smelled strongly of beer and sweat and I couldn't wait to get back outside into the fresh air and away from the cackling, drunk patrons. But when I happened to glance back toward the doorway, the officer was walking through it, looking around the place.

Was he following me? Did he know I was running away from my master? Had they sent someone for me already? I was so paranoid that I didn't want to take any chances so I ducked and went to the back of the saloon, dodging stumbling people and avoiding desperate women who thought I was a man.

Spotting a door, I swiftly went through it. It was empty other than a few shelves on the walls and a bunch of barrels. There was a rope hanging from one of the rafters and I wandered over to it, touching it curiously. Looking closer, I caught sight of the color scarlet and I jerked back, frightened. Was someone hanged in this room?

Suddenly, I heard the door knob rattle and I panicked, thinking it was the officer coming to get me and drag me back to that horrible place. So I did the first thing that came to mind, I grabbed the rope and climbed up it until I could grab onto the rafters. Pulling myself up, I managed not to lose my balance and pull up the rope before the strangers noticed me as they walked in, unaware of my presence. I silently made sure Aleister's stolen money bag was still strapped to my waist.

The room was very dim, as only a few candles were illuminating the old musty smelling place. Keeping my hood low over my face, I squatted on the beam and intently watched the group of mysteriously dressed men walk directly under me and speak in hushed tones.

They certainly weren't workers here simply coming to get more ale. No, they appeared extremely suspicious. Something about them struck me as dangerous, but I didn't know why. I couldn't see their faces, as there wasn't enough light. But I did catch sight of a few gleaming swords attached to their hips.

One of the men seemed urgent as he used his hands to gesture."We're getting nowhere, Captain. We need to leave before-"

"I give the orders for when we depart. We haven't found anything of use. Just one more day and then we'll set sail." The apparent "Captain" said harshly as he crossed his arms over his chest. He was strongly built, though he wasn't as massive as some of the others.

They had unfamiliar accents - slightly British like my own, but they possessed something that gave them a foreboding and mysterious aura. Whoever these men were, I didn't want them to notice me.

"We can't pretend we belong here Captain. There's an officer right outside that door and we barely managed to avoid the man." Another protested.

"Shut up before I slit your throats. What are you saying? Listen to yourselves!" The Captain hissed in exasperation. "We'll find it. I can feel it."