14 - Into the Forest

As everyone crossed the treeline, leaving the golden sands behind us, we headed into the tropical forests. Everywhere you looked, shiny gold broke through the earth. The air was warm and humid, the scent of fresh blossoms filling our noses. Colorful whistling birds sang to us from the treetops and butterflies of impossible beauty fluttered around.

I felt as though I had died and gone to heaven-that is until I glanced at the dirty pirates around me, all in desperate need of a bath. Valentine was perched on Louis' shoulder, her head twisting around to take it all in. She was eagerly squawking at all of the native birds.

We all trekked through the forest in awe. I might have been the most amazed out of the whole lot, as I had never left the small port town I was from. I had never even set foot in the countryside, being a slave to masters who never let me stray far from home. This island was the most beautiful place I had ever seen, more stunning than anything I could have imagined.

I had to stop to smell every new flower we passed-flowers that seemed to glow from within. As I stopped once more admiring a shimmering pink bud, a hand settled around my wrist, tugging me away.

"You're slowing us down, lassie." Louis said as he pulled me to walk faster with him.

"What's the rush? We don't have a deadline. I've never seen so much beauty and I want to take it all in." I said, hoping he would let everyone enjoy themselves rather than simply focusing on digging up gold.

"Aye, it is beautiful. But I don't want to spend anymore time here than we need to." He replied tiredly.

"Look at everyone. They're worn out. We've been sailing for weeks and walking for hours. Can't we stop to rest?" I suggested, noticing he still held my wrist.

Louis paused and glanced back at his crew. His eyes wandered around the forest, untrusting of the seemingly peaceful atmosphere. There didn't seem to be any dangers near.

"Oi! We'll be setting up camp here for the night. Do not wander far and no one is to go off alone. You here me? We don't know what darkness lies under the pretty face of this island." Louis announced, dropping his sack on the ground.

"Hey, I think I hear running water! Who's up for a swim?" Niall called, heading off into the trees.

Most of the pirates followed after him, eager to wash off all of the dirt from weeks at sea. A dip in some cool water sounded wonderful at the moment. Liam tied Harry to a tree and the mermaid to another. She had a gag in her mouth so she couldn't sing. A few others began setting up camp. I noticed Louis sit down on a fallen log, staring off into the forest.

Making my way over to him, I sat down next to him. "What are you thinking?"

He sighed. "Nothing important."

"Then you shouldn't mind telling me." I coaxed gently, searching for whatever he was so fascinated by. The towering mountain could be seen in a break in the trees, gold slithering its way down the sides. From this distance you could fully admire its magnificence.

"I was only thinking about my future...if perhaps this is it for me. This might be the end of the line." He said quietly. He seemed troubled, his brow furrowed and his hands fiddling with a blade of grass.

"You can always turn back. It's not too late. There's no moon above us and you haven't dug anything up yet." I tried to lighten his mood, but he seemed to only grow more troubled.

"I can't turn back now. I'm so close." He murmured.

"Is obtaining the gold worth more than your life?" I questioned.

"It's not just the gold. It's..." He glanced at me, not finishing his sentence.

"What could be so important that you'd risk your life?" I tilted my head. "Why would a pirate like you care for something more than treasure?"