4 - From One Master to Another

Someone followed me inside and yanked me along the passageways so I'd go with him. I recognized him as the blond who wouldn't undress me yesterday. He pulled me all the way back to the tiny room I'd first been put in and opened the door. It was dark this time, not having a lantern to light up the small space since there were no windows. He pushed me inside.

"What about the lantern?" I asked nervously.

"You don't get one this time." He responded.

"But it's dark! It's completely dark." I told him, anxiety rising quickly.

"You should have thought of that before going outside and almost ruining everything." He replied blankly, closing the door and locking it.

"Wait! Come back!" I called, now in pitch darkness.

I banged my fists against the door in fear. I hated the dark, not to mention small spaces. The two combined were the worst things I could imagine. No matter how loud I yelled or how hard I pounded against the door, no one came for me. I was left alone in the room, in danger of passing out when my anxiety peaked. I felt around for the cot and sat on it, bringing my knees up onto it so I was off the disgusting floor. Afraid, I struggled to maintain my sanity.

The pirates left me in that room for hours it seemed. I could only sit there and pray I would be let out, or at least given a light. I ended up losing track of time when I fell asleep for a while. When I woke, I had no idea what time it was. There were no more sounds of commotion so I supposed that the enemy pirates had gone.

Some time later the door rattled and then opened. The dim light from the passageway outside made my heart leap in hope. A figure stood there with one hand on his hip.

"Do you wish to be let out lass?" Came the stern voice of the captain.

"Yes, please." I whispered.

"Do you not like it in here?" He asked as if mocking me.

"Not at all, sir." I responded, attempting to be on my best behavior.

"I'm not sure that I should let you out. You will probably cause more problems for me. I've a mind to leave you in here for a week so I don't have to endure your impertinence." He said dryly and my stomach dropped.

"I'll behave. I promise." I told him seriously.

He stroked his chin for a moment. "If you step out of line even slightly, I'll have you punished harshly. Is that clear?"

"Yes." I said and after a second of silence he acted as though he would close the door without letting me out and I quickly added, "Captain! Yes, Captain."

He stopped and held the door open, moving so I had room to pass by him. I hesitantly got up from the cot and stepped through door, having to brush against him because of the narrowness of the doorway. I looked at the floor while he slammed the door and then stood there looking at me.

"Do you realize that because of your careless little escapade earlier on deck that you've jeopardized everything we've been working toward for years?" He spoke sternly.

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do any harm." I murmured.

"Obviously, since I've told you nothing of my mission. But if you would follow simple instructions, all this would have been avoided. Now not only do you have the interest of me and my crew, but you also have the interest of one of the worst pirates on the seas." He said, his features barely lit up by a lantern hanging nearby.

"Maybe if you'd explain to me what's going on, I'd be more inclined to be careful." I replied.

"All you have to do is obey me and everything would be fine." He said quickly and then pushed me toward his cabin.