5 - I Have a Name

When Harry was roughly dragged back down into the brig and shoved into his cell, I gasped at the sight of his shirtless torso. His back was littered with bleeding lash marks. I was no stranger to whippings, but never in my life had I been given more than ten. I couldn't count how many he had. I was shocked.

Harry landed on his front, and groaned in agony, clenching his fists tightly. He hissed through gritted teeth while Liam left us alone again, but not before ordering us not to speak to each other. I knelt beside the bars separating us and wished I could help him. His face was turned slightly away so I couldn't see his face contorted in pain.

"Harry?" I murmured in worry. "I'm sorry. This was my fault."

He didn't reply, only continued groaning and squirming as if moving would lighten the hurt he was feeling. His shirt had been flung beside him, but he ignored it. I looked at my hands, the guilt overwhelming me. He was miserable. After a while his body was making small jerking movements and his groans turned to soft moans. When I opened my mouth to speak again, a pitiful whimper escaped him and I closed my mouth. He was in too much pain to speak. I decided to leave him alone.

I sat on a crate and folded my hands, wishing I hadn't convinced him to talk about why I was here. But at least I'd gotten some information from him. The pirates were searching for an island of gold and I was apparently the key to finding it. Strange. I didn't understand how I could be the "key" to finding anything. I was a nobody from a family I never met, being a slave ever since I was little. It seemed unbelievable that the pirates had found me by accident in that saloon.

After what seemed like hours, Harry hadn't moved his position and looked like he had fallen unconscious. Worried, I stood up and moved over to the bars separating us.

"Harry? Hello? Wake up." I said loudly.

He didn't move, but I could see he was breathing. His bare back was covered in blood and I knew he must have lost way too much to be safe. Looking around, I grabbed a rusty metal bar and started banging it against the bars.

"Wake up, Harry!" I shouted, banging as loud as I could.

He stirred, but didn't respond. Instead, the door to the brig burst opened and Liam came storming in.

"What in the blazes is going on down here?" He complained, stalking toward me. "What's with all the racket?"

"He needs help. He won't wake up and he might die if someone doesn't help him." I said to the first mate, gesturing to Harry's still body.

Inspecting Harry, Liam pursed his lips and then squinted at me. "I'spose you're right. But it's not my problem if he dies for what he did. He would have deserved it."

"Will you find someone to help him? A doctor?" I asked, holding onto the bars.

Liam snorted, looking at me like I was stupid. "We don't have any doctor. But fine, I'll go get someone to take a look."

Relieved, I watched Liam leave and then turned my attention back to Harry. "I got help. Just stay alive and it'll be alright."

I didn't know why I was helping him. He was a pirate. It was because of him I was in this mess. But he had tried to help me, so I felt I should return the favor. And then we would be even.

A while later Liam returned with an old wrinkly man with a white beard. He looked positively ancient next to the young attractive first mate. They unlocked Harry's cell and the old man kneeled to look at Harry.

"Oh boy. Looks like he's dead. We'd better toss him over board I guess before he starts to stink." He announced in a shaky hoarse old man voice.

"He's still breathing!" I exclaimed, clearly seeing Harry's back rising and falling.