Chapter 2: Meeting the 'family'

AN: here's chapter 2. Enjoy, people.

Lexi's POV:

I sat on the metal, behind-breaking chair at the airport. I drummed my fingers on my rucksack, sipping hot chocolate that tasted like sawdust while waiting for one of my half-brothers. To comfort me, I wrapped myself in a hoodie that I'd had for as long as I could remember. I grew out of it years ago, but kept it for some unknown reason.

My social-worker- Stephanie- was trying (and failing) to strike up a conversation with me. I gave her one worded answers, but she still persisted. I wasn't trying to be rude- it's just the way I was.

A lot had happened since yesterday. Just a few hours ago, my 'loving foster parents'- Liam and Isla- left the house in a drunken stupor, after telling me to do my chores and reminding me of the consequences. An hour later, I heard someone banging loudly on the door and a gruff voice shouting, "OPEN UP!"

So I did what any crazy fifteen year old girl who'd just watched 'Stranger Things' on her phone would do: opened the door and whacked whoever was there on the head with a vase.

It turned out that they were the police coming to tell me that my 'parents' were arrested for illegal drug selling. For the next few hours, I had to pretend to be distressed and ignorant of Liam and Isla's crimes.

From what I've been told, I have two sets of six half brothers. I share the same mother as the 'DeLescos' and the same father as the 'DeLaCruzs'- both of whom were now dead. According to Stephanie, the two families were huge rivals, but agreed to put aside their feud for the approximate one year duration of my stay. Or until Stephanie finds a decent foster home.

Stephanie's incessant rant about how lucky I was to have my half-brothers take me in was making my head ache and ears almost bleed. I was seriously tempted to just get up and leave, but refrained from doing so. Subconsciously, I fiddled with my necklace. It was half a heart with the word 'Sister' engraved on its silver surface.

"That's a pretty necklace," Stephanie said, "who gave it to you?"

I clenched my jaw and stuffed it down my shirt and pushing back the memories, "it doesn't matter," I said coldly, feeling slightly bad when I saw her face fall a little. However, she got the hint and stayed silent.

I scanned the airport and saw someone approaching us. He was quite tall with dark brown hair and amber eyes. I raised my head a little higher and clutched the pocket knife in my bag that I'd managed to smuggle on the plane- which took a lot of work.

"Alexandra Daley?" The man asked. I bristled when he used the same surname as my abusers.

"Call me Lexi, and you are?" I stared at him with a blank face.

"I'm Simon DeLesco, one of your half-brothers," he replied, "come with me."

"Wait sir," Stephanie said firmly, "I can't let you take Alexandra until you show proof of your identity."

Simon nodded and took out his phone, showing something to her. She nodded, satisfied, ans bade me farewell, telling me she'd some to see me in a month to see how I was settling in.

Simon and I walked to the car in tense silence. I sat in the passenger seat and stared out the window. The silence was suffocatingly awkward, but neither of us made any move to break it.

Finally, I cleared my throat and said, "so, how many half-brothers do I have?" Even though I already knew the answer.

"Twelve," he replied, "you'll meet them when we reach," back to the awkward silence.

Wanting something to do, I began carefully folding my hoodie, to put it in my bag.

"Where did you get that?" Simon's voice rang out sharply in the car, making me flinch involuntarily.

"It's been with me for a very long time," I answered, "why?"

"That's my brothers hoodie," Simon turned his gaze back to the road, "never knew what happened to it," he muttered quietly. I didn't say anything.

"We're here," he finally said. He pulled into a gravel driveway in front of a gigantic mansion.

My eyes widened in surprise, but I quickly regained my neutral expression, "nice place."

Simon's lips quirked in a quick smile, "thanks."

We walked up to the front door and he lead me to an office. The interior of the house was just as impressive as the outside- if not more so.

"She's here," Simon declared and walked inside with me following close behind. Inside were twelve men sitting on the two leather couches- a very clear divide between the two families. Some were scowling, smiling while others had neutral expressions.

"Hi," I waved awkwardly.

"Hello," a man with black hair and green eyes smiled at me. He had the kind of smile where you couldn't help but return the gesture, "I'm Ryan-"

"Hold up," I said, resting my bag against my right leg and taking out a notebook. I wrote his name, along with a brief description of what he  looked like, "okay, go." Several of the brothers had an amused smile on their face.

After the introductions were done, Antonio cleared his throat, "so, Alexandra-"

"Lexi," I interrupted.

"Lexi," he corrected, "there are some rules to follow.
1) Don't smoke, do drugs or anything of that kind. This is to protect the family reputation.

2) Keep up your grades. I was quite impressed with your last school report. Again, this is to uphold our reputations.

3) No-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," I cut in. Some of the boys had shocked expressions. I ignored them and continued, "judging by the glares I'm receiving and the rules you've stated, you all have taken me for your 'family reputation'. You don't want me here and I don't want to be here. How about a compromise? I won't do anything to damage your reputation, and you guys stay out of my way," I stared straight into Antonio's eyes and held my hand out. Looking faintly amused, he shook it.

"Flynn?" I asked, holding my hand out to him. Chuckling slightly, he shook mine too. Huh. Avoiding my half-brothers might be easier than I thought, "wonderful."

"Come on, Lexi," Ryan stood up, "I'll show you to your room."

End of chapter 2.

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)