Chapter 15: Reunited

AN: here's chapter 15. Enjoy, people.

The next day *spongebob dramatic voice*

Lexi's POV:

I woke up in my bed- someone must've carried me upstairs. I swallowed, feeling a heavy sense in the air. I got out of bed and started getting ready, lost in a black hole of thoughts. I went downstairs, made some cereal and milk and ate it quietly.

"-Lexi, Lexi?!" I blinked and saw Sam in front, snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"Yeah?" I mumbled.

He studied me concernedly, "you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," I replied, putting away my bowl, "well, I'm gonna go. See you later."

"Wait, I'll drop you off," Thomas said.

"No, you don't have to bother," I fake smiled, "I'll walk."

"Lex, you've been acting strange all morning. You didn't even react when Will stole your cookie," Will glared at Thomas.

"We'll talk about the cookie thing later," I narrowed my eyes at Will, who gulped audibly, "honestly, I'm fine! I'm just tired, that's all. Now bye," and I quickly left before they could protest. I was filled with nervous excitement about meeting up with Ace after school.

Ace's POV:

I couldn't wait to meet Lexi again. Now that I'd regained my memories, I realised how much I missed her over the last year.

As I was walking down the stairs, I heard Karen inside the kitchen, talking to someone on her phone. Sue me for listening.

"He's acting so strange now," she said, "last night, I caught him looking at me like he wanted to rip my head off!" I guess I wasn't as subtle as I thought, "I don't know," pause, "I hope he hasn't... I don't want that witch back in his life!" It didn't take a genius to figure out she was talking about Lexi.

"She's in town, you say?" Karen's voice had an odd tone to it, "hmm... maybe it's time to get rid of her?"

"Hey Ace, what're you doing here?" Dean asked. I silently berated him from giving away my hiding spot. I'd wanted to find out more. Sighing, I went in the kitchen.

"Hey boys!" Karen beamed, "ready for school, Dean?"

"Yes, he's ready," I grabbed Dean's arm, "I'm gonna drop him off now," and I practically frog marched him out of there.

I decided not to tell him about the weird phone call- not while I didn't have the full story. At work, I kept watching the clock, willing time to move faster. I had to tell Lexi about the conversation- her life could be in danger.

Lexi's POV: (after school)

I sat on a bench in the park, trying to read my book. After ten minutes, I gave up- knowing it was impossible to concentrate.

"Hey," I looked up and saw Ace.

"Ace," I smiled so wide I was worried my mouth would split at the seams.

"I need to tell you something, and I don't have much time to tell you," he said urgently, looking over his shoulders, "I think I'm being watched."

I frowned, "why?"

He gave me a quick brief of a conversation he heard with his mother- a woman who made Umbridge look like Tinkerbell.

"And I'm worried that she's keeping tabs on me- I don't want to put you in danger," he finished.

"At night, you could sneak away and come to my house?" I offered.

A faint smile appeared on his lips, "just like the old times?"

I laughed lightly, "just like the old times."

"Okay, see you later then," his eyes softened, "I've missed you, Lexi."

"I've missed you too, Ace," I grinned, "see you later."

I went home with a slight skip in my step and a wide smile on my face. I probably looked like a maniac, but right now I didn't care.

"Hi!" I chirruped cheerfully when I entered the house.

Jack raised an eyebrow, "what's got you so happy?"

I shrugged, "just a beautiful day, I guess."

Will walked into the room and I smiled at him. He did a double take and looked at Jack, "is she okay?" I rolled my eyes at his remark and went to my room.

I flopped on my bed and laughed hysterically. I couldn't believe that two months ago, I was living with Isla and Liam.

Just the thought of my abusers was enough to wipe the smile of my face. They were still looking for me- I hope they don't find me.

X

Later that night, I heard someone throwing stones at my window. Tense, I opened it.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!" I smiled when I heard Ace whisper.

I quickly threw down a rope of bedsheets and tied it to my bedpost. Ace tugged it to check its strength and quickly began climbing. It wasn't a very long climb, and he was a professional.

Finally, he hauled himself through the window, flopped on the floor and grinned, "hi."

I laughed, "hey."

"How have you been?" Ace asked.

I explained all that had happened to me, including the fact that Liam and Isla were after me.

Ace scowled and his eyes darkened as his fingers curled into a fist, "I'll kill them if they hurt you again."

I sighed and rubbed my eyes, "I'm scared, Ace."

He looked at me, giving me his full attention.

"I'm scared of Liam and Isla. I'm scared that-once the year is over- I'll go back into the system to an even worse foster system. I'm scared of getting close to people here, because that'll make it harder to leave," I finished quietly, wiping my eyes on my sleeve, "I'm so cowardly."

Ace grabbed my hand and interlocked his fingers with mine, "hey, you don't have to be scared, okay Lexi? Remember, bravery isn't the lack of fear, it's being able to move forward inspite of that fear. And you are the bravest person I know."

I smiled, "thank you, Ace," I cleared my throat, "now, tell me what you've been up to the past year."

We chatted for a long time. At some point, we even snuck downstairs to raid the fridge, desperately trying to control our laughter in case my brothers woke up.

"Hey, wanna watch 'Suits'?" I asked, sitting on my bed and waving my phone.

"Yes," he replied immediately, sitting next to me. He draped an arm around my shoulder and I leaned against him, propping my knee up as we watched Louis Litt yell at some poor associate.

Soon, we fell asleep. I managed to switch off my phone before I closed my eyes and drifted off to the land of dreams, happy that I'd been reunited with my best friend.

End of chapter 15.

How do you think Lexi's half-brothers are going to react when they see Ace?

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)