thirteen

Karla's pov;
We all got out of the car and I hugged Oscar as tight as I could. He kissed my head and I laid my head against his chest.

"You scared all of us chula."he said.

"I gotta go see my mom. She's probably worried sick."I sniffled.

He cupped my face with his hand. I kissed him worried I would never see him again.

"I love you too."I said when we pulled away.

He smiled and I chuckled. We walked inside and I took a quick shower. I had brought some stuff over since I would spend the night at his.

I changed into some sweats and a white tank top. I put my hair in a low bun and Oscar took me home. I gave him a quick peck and got out of the car.

I walked to the door and I knocked. Ruby opened the door and his face lit up.

"Karla!"he smiled.

He hugged me tightly and I smiled. I walked inside and saw my mom. I could see her relax when she saw me, she got up and we hugged.

"You scared me Karla."she sighed.

"I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you that Cesar and Oscar wanted to take me out for my birthday. It was late when we got back from San Diego so I spent the night over there."I said.

She nodded and kissed my head.

"Happy late birthday mija."she smiled.

My smile grew and Ruby came from the kitchen with the cake and 2 candles lit. Everyone started singing happy birthday and I just couldn't stop smiling.

The song soon came to an end and I waited a second before i blew the candles out making a wish. Everyone clapped and Ruby set the cake down on the dinner table. I took the candles out and started to cut the cake before they told me to take a bite.

I served everyone and everyone was just hanging out. I went to my room and sat on my bed, I looked at my side table and grabbed the picture of Oscar and I.

I then saw Ruby come in and he sat next down to me.

"Hey Ruby."I smiled.

"What happened Karla? Be real with me please."he said not wanting to deal with any bs.

I sighed and explained the whole situation. He was mad and sad, he hugged me and I chuckled.

"Wait so we gave Oscar all the roller world money for nothing?"he asked.

"Kinda but you didn't know that Cesar already had a plan. I'll talk to him tomorrow."I said.

He then called Jamal and Monse. He told them to come over as soon as possible. And surely enough after waiting 8 minutes they both were sitting on my bed.

Ruby explained what had happened and Monse looked pissed. Jamal had a look of betrayal.

"So Cesar didn't leave?"Monse asked.

I shook my head and she looked furious.

"Jamal and Ruby get out. It's time for girl talk."I said pushing them towards the door.

I closed my door and I sat on my bed across from Monse. She looked me in the eyes and I saw tears starting to form.

"Hey, what happened babe?"I asked softly.

She let the tears go and she opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. I hugged her and she quietly cried as I held her.

"It's okay my love. I'm here whenever you're ready to talk." I said while rubbing her back.

She sniffled. "Cesar cheated on me."

I closed my eyes and sighed.

"How could he do that to me? He said that he still loved me and only me. He said he wouldn't ever betray me."she sobbed.

I just let her ramble because she needed to let all that out. She wiped her tears away and looked at my side table where she saw the photo of all of them together and the other photo of Oscar and I.

"So you and Oscar?"she asked.

"Yeah, he gave me that as a present along with this necklace and he finally said 'I love you'". I smiled.

She smiled sadly. "At least one of us still has a Santo."

I hugged her one last time and she sniffled. All of us hung out at my place and it soon became dark.

Oscar <3
can you come over?

Karla <3
i don't think so but maybe tomorrow :)

Oscar <3
okay, lemme know tomorrow chula. buenas noches que sueñes con los ángeles 🤍

I always looked forward to his good morning and good night texts.

"Okay mija we're gonna head out."

"Okay thank you for everything."I said hugging my tia Geny.

"Bye dummy."Ruby said while hugging me.

"Bye stupid."I said hugging him back.

They left and then Jamal went home.

"Hey can I spend the night tonight?"Monse asked.

"Of course."I smiled.

I knew her dad was back on the road and I just didn't want her sleeping alone all the time. Plus I wouldn't mind having her over.

My mom went to bed and Monse and I did the same.

"Hey I talked to Cesar."she said.

"Oh when?"I asked.

"When I went out for a walk."she said.

"I asked him if he loved me."she continued.

"He said he did. I thanked him for giving me that closure. He stopped me and asked what that meant. I then said if he loved me and did that, what else could he do."

'Damn all these kids are deep as hell.'I thought.

"Wow, so you're okay now?"I asked.

"Yeah, maybe it will be good if I left Freeridge."she said.

"Wait what?"I said.

"My dad's sending me to an all girls school called Mayfield. I didn't wanna go because of Cesar, but maybe it'll be a good change."she said.

I nodded. "You gotta do you sometimes."

She chuckled.

"Yeah sometimes you do."

The next morning

I parked my car on the side of the street. I was picking all the kids up since I saw that they finally took down the Prophets.

I got out of the car and they all walked up. They all smiled seeing that they were gonna get a free ride.

"Hey good job guys."I smiled.

"For what?"Jamal said being suspicious.

"You know for what. Anyways have you told them?"I asked Monse.

"Tell us what?"Cesar asked.

"I'm leaving. It's always been about you guys and I need to do me. So I'm leaving Freeridge when the summer's over."she said.

They all looked at each other and the boys bursted out laughing. I furrowed my eyebrows as did Monse.

"Yeah okay have fun."Jamal said.

"I'm being serious. I'm not coming back."

"You always do this. But you always come back."Ruby said.

"You guys can all eat a bag of dicks!"Monse yelled.

She walked the other way and before I could chase after her someone grabbed me and my vision turned dark.

All I could think was,

'Ah shit, here we go again.'