Chapter Eighteen: The Letter From 1885

Previously...

November 12th, 1985. At 10:03PM. At the clock tower, Doc looked at the two cables in his hand, as well as the loose plug down on the ground. How can he get everything connected? He could hear the crashing lightning up above. Doc now realised what he has to do: he connected the plug and cable, then he tied them to the clock hands, the time now 10:03PM. They only had 60 seconds left.

The DeLorean was soon approaching the outskirts of the town, passing by buildings and parked cars as it gathered up more speed. It was going to be close to the wire, almost like the final lap at the Dinoco 400 in 'Cars'.

Doc prepared to make a leap of faith on the cable. He then could hear the faint sound of a vehicle approaching fast. It was the DeLorean! Without a second to think, he leaped off the ledge, using the cable as a flying fox, and slid down it with a yell, Doc fortunately landing in a patch of leaves on the ground.

The DeLorean was fast approaching the town square. The car was soon reaching up to 88 miles per hour, now ready for temporal displacement to travel forward through time and get back to 2015. The car lit up as the flux capacitor shone like a star with all systems now ready to go, but without the 1.21 gigawatts needed to launch forward through time, it won't make it.

Doc grabbed onto the cable at the other end, pulling it free from the fallen tree branch, and ran towards the lamppost. Inside the car, Andrea and the others could see this, then saw they were closing in on the spot where the cables span the street. They close their eyes tightly, and waited for the inevitable, praying they'd make it home.

The clock struck 10:04. An almighty crash of thunder and a bolt of lightning struck the clock tower with the force of unprecedented power, as the cable became electrified, racing along the length of cable. Doc got the plug in, just as the current launched him back. The DeLorean reached the spot, just as the connecting hook makes contact, thus sending the 1.21 gigawatts right into the flux capacitor, the car erupting in a flash of light and a ball of fire, and it vanished into thin air, leaving a pair of fire tracks in its wake as it raced away.

Doc Brown looked on in shock and amazement, the wind whipping around him finally coming to a stop, as the leaves settled down

Doc Brown looked on in shock and amazement, the wind whipping around him finally coming to a stop, as the leaves settled down. The cable sparked a bit, then it caught fire, the connecting hook being left behind. Doc looked at the clock tower, and saw it stopped at 10:04PM, not moving anymore, while the storm had moved on. He made his way down to look at the fire tracks as they licked at the tarmac on the ground.

'It worked...' Doc thought to himself in amazement, now looking around at what happened. 'It really worked. They... they made it. They've gone back home.'

Doc suddenly burst out cheering, relief and happiness in his laughter and voice, knowing that he got the four teenagers back home safe and sound, just like he promised. He ran forward with a smile on his face back to his car, then he glanced up at the clock tower one last time.