Chapter 29

We walked north until we spotted the crowd. Gale reached down and squeezed my hand making me squeeze back. We walked into the middle of the crowd without being shoved to much. The Peacekeepers that were watching made my heart speed up a little bit but I just took deep breathes.

A little girl that was being held by her mother and leaning her head on the mother's shoulder looked directly at me. Once she recognized me, she lifted her head. I raised my finger to my lips, silently telling her to stay silent. Then I looked past her to see the Peacekeepers checking people's faces. The three of us turned back calmly, walking the opposite direction until we saw Peacekeepers walking from that way too, making us turn around again.

Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder before an explosion hit on my left.

"It's the rebels!" Someone yelled.

I looked behind me to see the rebels shooting at the Capitol people. I covered my ears and looked back forward when another explosion hit. Then I saw the little girl from earlier crying for her mom who was laying dead in front of her. My heart broke at that. This wasn't right.

"Come on!" Gale yelled over the bullets and screaming.

I got up and took the heavy cloak off. I sprinted towards the little girl and picked her up, and running behind another building before setting her down again.

"Stay here, alright, sweetheart? You're gonna be safe here."

She nodded as she covered her ears, tears spilling down her cheeks. I nodded and turned back around and ran over to a barrier, jumping over it and sitting against it. I looked up only to be met with a Peacekeeper. He came at me, only to be shot from the rebels behind me. I let out a breath before picking up a gun and jumping over another barrier, looking for Gale and Katniss.

I continued running, only shooting at the Peacekeepers who were in front of me. Then, an explosion hit a tank. I looked over to see Gale getting dragged away by Peacekeepers.

"Shoot me!" He yelled.

I looked over and saw Katniss raise her bow, pointing at Gale, before putting it down. I growled under my breath and ran towards Gale. We both locked eyes.

Then he mouthed the words, "I love you."

Tears ran down my cheeks as he was taken away. He loves me.

I quickly wiped the tears away and ran to where I last saw Katniss. There she sat with her back against the tank. I crouched down next to her.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"I wouldn't have been able to do it either, KitKat. But right now, you need to go hunt down Snow, and kill him."

She looked me in the eyes before nodding and getting up, me following behind. Explosions hit all around us but we pushed through. Then we hit the crowd. Children were being brought forward towards the front. I pointed up at the tank next to us to Katniss. She nodded and started climbing it. I tried to continue pushing through the crowd.

Then a helicarrier with the Capitol insignia flew overhead, dropping parachutes.

"This doesn't feel right." Hero said from beside me.

The children reached upward towards the falling parachutes. But, right as the parachutes were close the their hands, they exploded. I dropped to the ground and covered my head with my hands. I could hear my heart beating in my ears. I lifted myself off the ground and looked to where the children once were. Standing there, was a man holding a lifeless body of a young girl. I sob wracked through my body.

"Medic!" The man kept crying.

Katniss walked past me towards them. I stumbled behind her, trying not to look down at the small bodies.

"Prim." Katniss said.

I looked to where she was looking and saw Primrose there.

"Get to her, now!" Marshall yelled.

I ran past Katniss towards Prim.

Everything seemed to go into slow motion. The bombs seemed to make a second explosion. A look of fear crossed Primrose's face. Fire surrounded her, while I got blown back. The wind got knocked out of me, my head hit the ground with a sharp impact, and something, that I'm pretty sure was shrapnel, dug itself inside of me, making it hard to breath.

I tried to look around but my neck protested. The last thing I saw before everything turned black was sandy blonde hair, and fearful sea green eyes.

Triton.