Chapter 21

Katniss snuck out to District 2. Then Finnick was sent out too. I wanted to be out there but Coin said I wasn't ready. But the good thing was that they let me into their room and help with decisions. But that was rare to voice my thoughts.

"Peeta is going to be put into the field with Squad 451." Alma said.

"No. He's not ready." Plutarch defended.

"But he is. He's made improvements."

"What if I go too?" I ask.

"No, I told you, you aren't ready."

"But I am. My ribs are healed and my leg doesn't bother me or slow me down. If anything happens I can help. Plus, it might help Peeta." I argue.

"She's right, President Coin." Hamitch said.

I could see Alma's jaw tense. "Fine. But if you die, it's not my fault."

Then they sent me to go get ready. They gave me black pants, a grey tank top with a black jacket, a black vest and some black boots. Then I put my hair into a fishtail braid down my back.

"Be safe." Triton hugged me.

"I promise." I hugged back.

After we hugged, Beetee came up to me.

"Here." He handed me a strap that goes across my shoulder and over my chest. In the holders were the knives he made.

I said thank you and walked to the hover craft. Soon Peeta was on and we headed to wherever the Sharpshooters were. When we landed the put us in a van thing. They handed me a gun but not Peeta.

When the van slowed down, someone opened the back and let me and Peeta out. Peeta got out first then me. When I looked up, I saw everyone looking at Peeta, but Gale was looking at me.

Two guards started to escort us to the group. Everyone was tense but me. Peeta started mumbling things which he has been doing for awhile.

"Hey, stop." Gale held out his hand as Katniss pulled back an arrow.

I stood slightly in front of Peeta. It was like time slowed down. Every one was tense.

"Hold up." Finnick walked towards us. "Everyone relax.

I kept my eyes on Katniss. She wasn't putting her bow down. When a lady walked toward us, Katniss finally put it down.

"This is just a precaution, right?"

"Right." Peeta mumbled.

I stepped aside as she put a strap thing around Peeta's wrists. I sighed and started walking to the crumbled building when Gale stopped me by grabbing my arm.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, worry laced in his voice.

"It's easier for Peeta to have someone that knows what's going on inside his head near." I took my arm out of his grasp and continued walking.

When I was inside, I sat down at a table. Everyone else came in after that.

"They want us to add him to the propo." Boggs started. "Show that he's on our side now. We'll move forward a few blocks tomorrow and shoot the new footage."

"He's not in control of himself." Gale spoke up.

"That's why they sent me." I said.

"I say we schedule around-the-clock watch on him. The Leegs till 1700, Homes and Mitchell till 1900." Jackson voiced.

Katniss looked up. "Give me a watch."

Jackson and Boggs looked at her. "And if it really came down to it, you think you could shoot him?"

"I wouldn't be shooting Peeta. I'd be killing a Capitol mutt."

I sat up. "And if he were to kill you, he would think he's killing a Capitol mutt."

"Alright, alright. I'm not sure that kind of comment recommend you for the job, either, soldier." Jackson stepped in.

"Put her in the rotation." Boggs said as he walked out of the building.

Soon Katniss got up and followed Boggs out.
————————————————————
Happy New Year!