Chapter 8

Hope you all had a Happy Halloween!

When I saw the menacing, red eyes, I sprung up and sprinted in the opposite direction. I could hear the padding of their footsteps and their growling close behind.

I ran through many vines and leaves, getting a few cuts on my arms and face. I dodged past trees, trying to loose at least one of my attackers. I thought of different possibilities of how to get rid of the things when I tripped over a giant log.

I quickly flipped over and grabbed my spear, pointing it at the three oncoming mutations. But from my right, I saw a one sided axe fly towards one of the mutts. I turned my head to see District 10's male tribute. I heard a whimper and looked back to the creatures.

One of them had the axe to the head. One looked at the male and started charging towards him. The other was still mourning the death of its sibling. I took this time to get back up and continue running. Suddenly I heard a cannon go off and deep inside I knew it was District 10. I continued running until my lungs started to burn.

I found a tree and started to climb. I heard the creature close behind and started climbing faster. Then I felt something rip into my left calf and started slicing down. I let out a painful scream and dropped the spear. My grip on the tree loosened and that's when I thought this was it. I was going to die.

But I thought of Mags. Annie. Triton. They'll be watching and I couldn't let them see me die. So with all of my strength, I pulled myself up onto a branch and took out a knife. I aimed it at the mutt and threw it. It soon went down with a thud, the knife deep into its throat.

I looked back at my leg and saw blood soaking the material. I ripped the sleeve of my suite with my teeth and took off my shoe. I pulled the sleeve onto my calf. And with many painful groans, it was finally on. I put my shoe back on and carefully climbed down the tree.

I went to the weird creature to get my knife. When I looked at it, it had a lynx like head with a scorpion tail. I quickly took the knife and limped over the the spear. I put the spear on my back and continued limping at a fast pace. 

Soon it was fully dark out and I was exhausted. My throat was dry from no water and I had a pounding headache. Not to mention the throbbing pain from my leg.

I sat down and leaned my head against a tree. Then I heard a beeping noise from above. Looked up and saw a parachute cascading down towards me. I didn't have enough energy to stand, so I waited till it was closer to me. When it landed I snatched it in my hands and opened it.

I took out the object inside and looked closer at it. I saw the note and read it.

"Keep it up - Hamitch "

Why was Hamitch sending me things? Why did he say "keep it up"?

I looked back at the thing when I heard a voice.

"It's a spile." I turned my head to see Dele.

I gave her a quizzical look.

"Put it in a tree, it gives water." Hero said.

Oh. I turned around and stuck a knife in it to make a hole. When I thought it was deep enough, I put the spile in the hole and waited. Soon water came rushing out and I cupped my hands together and gathered it. I quickly drank from it and sweet relief came from my throat.

I took the sleeve off my calf and put my leg under the water. I winced at the stinging pain but it soon vanished. I out the sleeve back and drank some more water. When I was done, I took out the spile and leaned against the tree again.

I close my eyes until the music from the Capitol came. I looked up to see District 5 male, the male morphling, Woof, Cecelia, District 9's male, District 9's female, District 10's male, and Seeder.

I sighed know that could have prevented 10 from dying, so I whispered a quiet thank you and closed my eyes waiting for sleep to come over.

But as soon as I was comfortable, I heard chirping and clicking from all around. I groaned and tried to ignore them best I could, which was hard, because whatever was making the noise was everywhere.