Chapter 30: Like Daggers

➣ E R I E

E R I E

"Willow, how does it feel to go over the grass at the first corner and having to swap back to the third position during the first corner?" The interviewer asked.

"Yeah, it was pretty risky and I thought I'm gonna fall off."

I was smiling so brightly at the little kid named Anne Willow as she was handed a trophy and a bouquet of flowers. She was being interviewed as the winner of this kart racing event. Anne is just a seven year old kid yet she managed to top everyone, even kids that are older than her and has more experiences than her. That's impressive.

I smiled like a proud mentor. Sa kaniya ako na-assign kanina at na-enjoy ko ang oras naming dalawa. She was obedient and polite kaya mabilis kaming nagkasundo. Mabilis lang rin siya turuan.

"Ate, Erie!" Then she ran towards me with a beaming smile. She looks extra happy now that she won. I'm so proud!

"Hi, baby! Ate Erie is super proud of you!" Kinurot ko ang cheeks niya.

"Thank you, ate!" Then she gave me a hug and swayed the both of us. "Am I going to see you again, ate Erie? I will become the best racer in the world!" She giggled like a little child she is. I laughed at her innocence that soon enough faded into a very timid smile. 

Bigla kong narealize ang sinabi niya. Gusto niya akong makita ulit.

I don't know. And I don't want to promise something I know I can't fulfill. 

Especially, not on a innocent little flower like her.

"I want to see you again, ate Erie." She held my hand. 

"Why?" I just asked with a smile.

"Because you are pretty." Inosente niyang sagot. Napangiti ako, magpapasalamat na sana kaso muli siyang nagsalita. "And your heart is pretty too. Like these flowers!" Inangat niya ang hawak na bouquet. Those are dandelions. My younger sister's favorite flower...

She almost got me there. I almost teared up.

"So can I see you again, ate?" She asked again. 

"Let's see, baby. But no matter where I am, remember that I'm very proud of you, okay?"

My heart wants to accept her words, but I feel guilty. Because no... my heart isn't pretty. I don't believe that.

Nakakasakit nga ako ng mga taong malapit sa akin, paano naging maganda ang puso ko?

"Ate Erie, why are they fighting po?" Bigla niyang tanong kaya nabalik ako sa katinuan.

"Sino, baby?"

Tumuro ang bata sa kung saan at kusa na lang nawala ang ngiti ko. I saw Ryde and Axcel shouting at each other.

"Oh my gosh." Nabitiwan ko ang helmet na kanina ko pa hawak pero agad ko iyong pinulot at tinabi sa bata. "Dito ka muna ha? Ate Erie will take care of them." I gave her head a pat. She nodded.