Chapter Fifty-Five

Draco and I were lucky to have almost no interruptions while we studied — aside from the sparse few sixth years who also had free periods, the common room was empty.

I received an unexpected sort of thrill when Draco leaned toward the coffee table, reaching for a couple of chips from one of the napkins holding the snacks I'd brought. I ate some of the snacks too, not wanting to make him feel like he was eating alone, but I left the chips for him since they seemed to be his favorite.

At some point, he removed one hand from his book and reached over to take my hand in his. We sat there for what felt like hours, holding hands and reading over the material in our textbooks.

It felt like it was nearing dinner time when I started to space out, my mind growing weary of trying to retain information. I set my open book down on my lap, absently drawing abstract shapes on Draco's hand with my fingers.

Not completely focusing on anything I was doing, I traced the lines of his palm, my mind oddly void of thoughts. I vaguely noticed the flipping of pages from beside me had stopped, and I realized Draco's eyes were on me.

I didn't look up at him, however, as I continued to run my fingers lightly over his skin. The affectionate warmth emanating from him was tangible, and I didn't have to look up to know he was gazing fondly.

I smiled softly, the feeling of his eyes on my filling me up with warmth even though I never met his gaze. Oh, the things he could make me feel just by looking at me....

Our fingers intertwined where they met, weaving in and out of each other in some sort of dance. The moment was so sweet that I didn't feel the need to fill the silence with any words — the feeling of sitting with him in the empty common room before the fire, our studying momentarily forgotten as I played with his hand and he stared at me... it was almost impossible to explain how I felt.

And yet, I was sure it could be said with three simple words that I wasn't near brave enough to say aloud.

I sighed softly, allowing my thoughts to fade away as I focused on the warmth of Draco's skin against my palm, appreciating how softly his fingers brushed against mine, enjoying the way it felt to have him gazing at me like I was the only girl in the world —

"I love you."

Draco's whisper was so quiet that I might not have heard him had my senses not been attuned to his presence.

What he said was so simple, so straightforward, that it took a moment for my mind to comprehend what he'd said. But once I understood....

The world stopped spinning.

My breath caught in my throat, and my heart was racing so fast that I felt like I should be gasping for air. His hand still rested in the grasp of my suddenly-frozen hands. I slowly looked up at him in shock, unsure that what I'd heard was really what he'd said.

But the look on his face said it all.

He gazed at me with eyes so warm that I hardly noticed the heat of the fire. It was as though all that mattered to him was the girl who sat before him, who held his hand gently in both of hers.

My mind struggled to wrap around his words. I inhaled shakily, and suddenly, his expression faltered.

He seemed to realize what he'd just said, and his eyes widened, his face paling noticeably. "I —"

But before he could say anything else, I lurched toward him, pressing my lips to his in a kiss so passionate that it left both of us breathless before it had even started.

I wound my arms around his neck, holding myself to him as though my life depended on it, kissing him hard. All that mattered at that moment was Draco, and the rest of the world drowned out until he was all there was.