Chapter Sixty-Five

Time was flying. It was difficult to keep track of what was happening and when.

March arrived like an owl delivering mail in a storm — both tumultuously and rapidly, with the rest of us swept away helplessly in the rush of time.

Feeling dazed, I dragged my feet into the Great Hall for breakfast, slumping into a spot at the Slytherin table. I had stayed up way too late studying the night before, and although I knew I would regret the lack of sleep the next morning, I was glad I'd gotten my assignments done. At least I could relax until the professors assigned something new.

I stared at the empty dinnerware before me, still processing the fact that I was awake, entirely unaware that someone had sat down across from me until they said, "You look really out of it."

Although the suddenness of the voice surprised me, I didn't react in the slightest, far too exhausted to exert any sort of shock. I just glanced up at Mirah blankly, my eyelids feeling heavy.

"Mm," was all I could say in reply.

Mirah's eyebrows shot up at the look on my face, and she burst into laughter. "Blimey, you look rough! How late were you up?"

I yawned, hiding my face in my hands. "Too late," I responded with a heavy sigh.

Mirah pursed her lips, her brow furrowing. She took my mug wordlessly, filling it with fresh coffee.

"I get that it's the last day before the Easter holidays, but you should probably still be awake during classes. After all, you're trying to study to become a Potions Master, right? You can't possibly succeed if you're staying up half the night studying — how will you pay attention during class? Maybe you could get some work done during breakfast...." Mirah prattled on, her worry showing in the alternate study plans she was suggesting.

I tried my best to follow along, but my mind started to wander as soon as she mentioned the Easter holidays. I couldn't decide whether I should go back to the Hollands' for the holidays, or I should stay here. The prospect of spending the holidays with my remaining family wasn't such a bad idea, but I supposed it all depended on what Mirah was doing — I wouldn't want to stay here alone.

Although if Draco was staying, I wouldn't be alone. But whether I would pick Draco over the Hollands, I didn't know — though the chances seemed high.

I wondered what Draco was planning on doing for the holidays....

"...doubt that Slughorn would be able to convince Snape, even if you could persuade him to ask... oi, are you even listening?"

Mirah slammed her hand on the table before me, shocking me back into the moment. "Earth to Brianna!"

I blinked, my eyes glancing lazily up at her disappointed face. "Oh, sorry..." I murmured. "I spaced out."

Mirah's eyelids drooped in annoyance, and she raised an arched eyebrow. "I noticed." She slid the mug of coffee in front of me, and I took it into my hands gingerly, holding the warmth close.

"Anyways, just take better care of yourself, will you?" she asked, folding her arms over the table.

I nodded, watching her expression over the top of my mug as I sipped it. As always, the coffee was perfectly smooth, and delectable to the taste, even without cream or sugar. I still preferred to add the cream and sugar, though....

Mirah was staring at something across the table, and I followed her eyes to the end of the Slytherin table, where I noticed a familiar tall blonde leaning over the table, talking privately with his old cronies Crabbe and Goyle. They looked positively menacing; the both of them had shot up at least a foot, towering over everyone even while they were seated. They were both looking pretty beefy, too, and that made them all the more intimidating to the eye — although experiencing their intelligence was enough to alleviate one's fears.