Chapter Sixty-Seven

The Easter holidays could not have come slower. 

It felt like ages before we were all allowed to leave Hogwarts to return to our families, and with everything going on at school, nearly everybody was eager to get away from the mayhem, even for just a few days. It seemed the majority of the students had forgotten the chaos of the wizarding world outside, which was getting progressively worse as time went on:

More and more people were dying, and the ministry of magic seemed to be on the verge of collapse — although nobody ever mentioned it. But it was difficult to get news on the outside from inside Hogwarts, and therefore, nobody was caught up in the latest happenings. 

And as for the happenings of Hogwarts... well... it was far from reassuring. 

The Carrows were pushing their limits. Students were required to use the Cruciatus Curse on those in detention. Even worse, various students were vanishing. There had been a glimmer of hope when Dumbledore's Army had been sneaking about, working against the Carrows and Snape, but their activity was declining steadily. More of their members were being threatened through their family members, putting a stop to their rebellion. 

It seemed that every time we thought things couldn't possibly get any worse, they did. It was like the universe was desperate to prove us wrong. 

The evening before Easter holidays, Draco pulled me aside in the common room, guiding me to the chess table in the corner and pulling his chair right up to mine. Then, speaking in a low voice so he wouldn't be overheard, he explained, "I'm going home for the Easter holidays, so I want you to leave, too." His eyes were hardened, his expression stony, so I knew just by looking at him that there was no room for argument. 

Not that I was going to, anyway. 

"I get it. You won't be able to protect me if I stay here," I summed up his thoughts aloud. "But you won't be able to protect me if I go home, either," I pointed out. 

Draco nodded. "I know," he sighed, looking weary, "but it's better than staying here with the Carrows." 

I watched Draco carefully, examining his tired eyes, the exhaustion pulling at every inch of his face. He always chose to bear the burden of stress by himself, not bothering to think twice about whether I might be worried about him, too. I hated that he did that. After all, once you're in a relationship, you no longer have to deal with things alone. Heavy burdens are easier to carry with a little help.

"Draco," I said softly, hoping to ease his worries to the best of my abilities. "Have I ever stepped out of line since the start of term?" 

Draco's eyebrows twitched into a frown, and he shook his head. "Of course not." 

"Have I been given detention, punished, or disciplined in any way?" 

Again, Draco shook his head.

"Have I given the Carrows any reason to target me?" 

At this, Draco heaved a heavy sigh. "Okay, okay, I get it. You're a good girl," he teased, smirking up at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. I rolled my eyes in response, trying my best to hide my smile. "But monsters like that can't be reasoned with. They don't have any sense of conscience. If they decided to torture you for the hell of it, you're pretty much fucked." 

I nodded knowingly, shuddering at the memories of all those students who returned from sessions with the Carrows, bloodied and bruised and looking on the brink of collapse. "I understand, Draco, believe me." I met his piercing gaze, offering a small smile to reassure him. "I'll go home." 

Draco's face relaxed, and the corners of his lips turned up into a soft, relieved smile. "Thank you, Bri," he whispered, reaching forward to brush his fingers across my cheek. "And for the love of God, stay safe, okay?"