Chapter Thirty

October fifth finally rolled around, and I woke up excited — today was the first Hogsmeade trip of the year.

I headed to breakfast alone; Mirah and the other girls were still sound asleep. I assumed Draco was still sleeping too when I entered the Great Hall and saw that he wasn't sitting at the table already.

I sat alone, and though I expected to be lonely, I was grateful; at least now I could have some time to think.

But as I ate, I started stressing myself out thinking about homework, O.W.L.s, and something I hadn't thought about in a long time....

I glanced at the Gryffindor table, seeing Hermione sitting with Ron and Harry as usual.

I looked away quickly as Harry glanced up, and at that moment, Pansy Parkinson took a seat across from me. She smirked maliciously as she glanced back at the Gryffindor table.

"Guess we can't call you a house traitor anymore. That's too bad; I was starting to like calling you 'Turncoat'," she sneered at me, and I fought to keep my face expressionless. "At least there's still Locust."

I stood up roughly, knocking my mug of coffee over in the process, but it was satisfying to see a flash of fear in Parkinson's eyes as I reached for my wand.

"Clear off, Pugface," I heard a familiar voice say threateningly, and I was shocked to hear him standing up for me. "Or your face'll sustain more damage than it looks like it has."

Parkinson hesitated, but then seemed to decide she'd rather not be on the receiving end of one of the Weasley twins' famous pranks. She stood up, smiling at me in smug triumph as she walked away.

I looked at Fred, bemused, and he smiled.

"I heard Mirah use that nickname a few times... I think she picked it up from you," he stood across the table from me, seeming unsure whether he should sit, his hands in his pockets.

"What're you doing here?" I asked cautiously, sitting back down slowly and pouring myself a new mug of coffee.

"I was wondering... well, I'll just ask her. Is Mirah up yet?" he asked hopefully, and I shook my head, hiding my smile. I assumed he was going to ask if Mirah wanted to accompany him to Hogsmeade.

Mirah hadn't mentioned hanging out with Fred since they went to the Yule Ball together, but maybe they'd been having secret rendezvous'.

"Oh... well, I'll wait till she gets here, then," Fred said casually, shrugging, and he sat down across from me.

I stared at him, confused. Why was he being so nice? Surely Ron had told him all about how I'd betrayed them. I mean, Fred and Ron were brothers, after all.

"How long d'you reckon she'll take?" Fred asked curiously, bouncing his leg impatiently.

"Why are you talking to me?" I blurted, and Fred frowned, bewildered.

"Well, you're her best friend, aren't you?"

I shook my head. "No, that's not what I meant."

Fred stared at me for a short moment before his eyebrows shot up and he said, "Ohh, that," he waved his hand through the air, as if pushing away the idea. "Ron's always so dramatic. I think you're all right," he shrugged, his expression at ease, and I smiled, grateful that at least someone was being reasonable.

"Thanks...." I murmured, smiling down at the mug in my hands.

At that moment, Mirah showed up, and Fred's attention was snapped away from me.

As I finished breakfast, the others slowly drifted into the Great Hall.

Draco looked particularly tired, and he slumped into the bench beside me, muttering something about staying up way too late. I poured him a mug of coffee as he rested his head tiredly on my shoulder.