Chapter Twenty-Five

Dad questioned me about Draco the entire way home, and he didn't let up even after we parked the car and headed into the house.

I managed to escape his questions by saying I was going to clean my room and pack my stuff into my trunk, but he brought it up again while we were eating dinner with Mum, and that brought up a whole new round of questions, this time coming from Mum.

I answered all their questions vaguely, relieved that they were mostly asking questions about Draco, and what kind of a person he was.

But when Mum asked excitedly, "Have you kissed yet?" I took this as a signal to leave the conversation, and I jumped up, taking their plates from them and muttering something about doing the dishes. I heard their chuckles behind me as I left Mum's bedroom and headed into the kitchen, and I was beginning to wish I hadn't bumped into Draco at all so I could have avoided all this.

I rode with Mirah to King's Cross station a week later, insisting that Dad didn't have to bring me and that he could stay home with Mum.

"I'll be fine on my own!" I'd told them when they tried to argue, and Dad had scooped me into one of his bear hugs, teasing me about how I was getting to be so big.

"Are you sure you're fine with your parents not seeing you off?" Mrs. Holland asked once we'd gone through the barrier and entered platform 9 ¾, and I nodded, answering that I was used to it — Mum and Dad had never accompanied me to the Hogwarts Express before, so why should I feel bad that they weren't now?

In truth, I was mildly upset; for the past five years, I'd been envious of everyone else saying their goodbyes to their parents on the platform while I said goodbye to my aunt and uncle instead. And since Mum and Dad had changed their ways recently, I'd been looking forward to waving goodbye to them as the train left the station.

But I guess, with Mum's condition, it wasn't a likely situation.

Now rather distracted, I said goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Holland with Mirah, and we started toward the train, dragging our trunks behind us.

"Brianna!" a familiar voice called my name. I stopped, listening hard. Mirah continued on; she didn't seem to have heard anything. I shook my head, starting forward again. No, I must've imagined it.

But then my name was called again, and I turned around, my eyes landing on Dad. And sitting in a wheelchair before him, was Mum.
I stared, my eyes wide in shock, and when I finally realized that they were here — they came! — I dropped my trunk, sprinting over to where my parents stood and throwing my arms around Mum's shoulders, reaching out for Dad's arm and pulling him into the hug. I was aware that people were staring at us, but I didn't care. For the first time in my entire life, Mum and Dad were here to see me off.

"You came!" I exclaimed, my voice breaking in my emotion. Mum and Dad squeezed me tighter, both chuckling.

But then I ripped myself away from them, looking at Mum in shock. "You shouldn't be here! What were you thinking?!" I reprimanded her, but she only rolled her eyes.

"Excuse me, but I'm your mother!" she exclaimed, smirking. "Not the other way around."

I wanted to laugh at her joke, but I shook my head, saying, "You're risking too much by being out of bed!"

Mum looked at me with her brows turned up, her lips pressed together sadly. "I know," she admitted, shrugging weakly. "But I wanted to see my daughter off for the first time. I understand it's your fifth year, but better late than never, right?" tears gathered in her eyes, and immediately, my concern vanished.

My shoulders dropped, and I put my hands on hers, saying, "No, I'm glad you're here! Overjoyed, actually! I'm just worried about you, that's all...."