Chapter Twenty

The champions had done their dance, and now everyone was stepping onto the dance floor, joining in the graceful twirling about.

I jumped up, asking Ron to dance, but he only crossed his arms, glaring at Hermione as she whirled across the dance floor with Viktor Krum.

I crossed my arms too, glaring at Ron. He'd been in a sulky mood ever since he'd seen that Krum had gotten to Hermione before he could.

"So, what? You're going to ask me to the ball, but you're not gonna bother to dance?" I asked, annoyed.

Ron shrugged. "Guess so."

I stared at him in disbelief, feeling my anger rising. "Fine," I said shortly, not wanting to ruin the ball by being angry the whole time. "I guess I'll find someone else to dance with."

"Fine."

I marched away from Ron, outraged, and started scoping around for someone, anyone, who wasn't dancing. I'd even take Crabbe or Goyle at this point. I wanted to dance, so I was going to dance, no matter who my partner was.

My eyes swept the Great Hall, and my gaze landed on a familiar blonde, his black cloak still draped around his shoulders, concealing his formal wear. He stood with pug-faced Pansy, who wore a pale pink dress, and it didn't suit her well.

I started toward Draco, and when Pansy's eyes landed on me as I neared, her face fell into shock. She couldn't even come up with anything nasty to say to me; she just stuttered stupidly.

Draco turned to see what she was looking at, and once he saw me, his eyes didn't leave me; he hardly even blinked. He just stared, his lips parted slightly.

Draco tilted his head toward Pansy, muttering, "Go bother someone else," his eyes on me all the while.

Pansy scoffed, offended, and started whining, but Draco ignored her. He held his hand out to me, raising an eyebrow. There was something about him that was different tonight, but I didn't know what. Maybe it was the way he was looking at me, or the fact that he wanted to dance with me and not Pansy. But whatever it was gave me butterflies.

I smiled, taking his hand, and he grinned brightly, undoing the clasp of his cloak with his free hand to reveal a handsome white tux with black dress trousers. He tossed his cloak at Pansy, shutting her up, and led me onto the dance floor.

"You look... stunning, by the way," Draco said after we'd danced a lap around the floor, glancing down at the expensive gown I wore. "It looks better than I thought it would."

"You shouldn't have given me this," I said, shaking my head as I looked down at the emerald green silk guiltily. "I mean, I didn't even get you a gift."

Draco shrugged. "I'd prefer if you didn't," he said, meeting my eyes with a soft smile. "It'd be a waste of money."

I frowned, shaking my head. "You're not a waste."

Draco smirked, but something else flashed in his eyes. "Never said I was," he replied snarkily.

He spun me around and around the dance floor, never once suggesting we stop, and I was glad; I wanted to stay in his arms for the rest of the night. And despite the fact that we were among the few that never left the dance floor, neither of us grew tired.

At some point, I spotted Ron, still pouting, still watching Hermione, and felt a flash of annoyance.

"Why aren't you dancing with Weasley?" Draco asked, following my gaze to Ron.

I sighed, still frustrated. "He refused," I muttered, glaring at Ron. "Too busy moping over Hermione to pay attention to me," I turned back to face Draco, quickly adding, "Not that I demand the attention, but it would be nice to actually dance at a school dance."