Chapter Sixty-Four

I understood why Draco hadn't said much on the train, but when his silence stretched throughout the carriage ride and into the start-of-term feast, I started to worry.

I was about to ask him whether something was wrong when the Great Hall suddenly fell silent. I looked around, noticing everyone was staring up at the Head Table, and I followed their gaze to the Headmaster's seat.

Snape, the previous Potions teacher, now stood where Albus Dumbledore used to.

This was hardly surprising; Snape had been the one to kill Dumbledore, after all. Even though I hadn't known such an important detail as who the new Headmaster was, I had no reaction whatsoever. It's not like it mattered to me.

"Before the feast commences, I would like to introduce a few changes this year. First off, allow me to present your new professors, the Carrow twins. Amycus Carrow will be teaching the Dark Arts this year."

There was a sudden wave of murmurs as Snape said the last bit, but I knew his referring to Defense Against the Dark Arts as just "the Dark Arts" was no mistake.

Snape continued on as if there had been no reaction.

"Muggle Studies has been made compulsory, and will be taught by Alecto Carrow. The Carrows will also be in charge of discipline, so be warned...."

I exchanged a nervous glance with Mirah. If Snape was warning us about the Carrows, they must be something terrible. I glanced at Draco, and when I saw his jaw clenched tightly, I knew I was right in assuming the worst of the Carrows.

Snape sat back down, and the Great Hall was silent for a moment before anyone realized the food had appeared before them. Snape had given no indication that his start-of-term speech was over, so it took quite a while for the voices to pick up again. I suppose his idea of a speech differed greatly from how Dumbledore's used to be.

Looking around the Great Hall, I noticed there were about half as many students as what I'd gotten used to. With an uneasy feeling in my stomach, I remembered the persecution of Muggle-borns. That must be why the student body had shrunk so generously.

I looked back up at Snape, who was chewing indifferently while the Carrow siblings chatted to him, cackling raucously. I couldn't help but notice how all the old professors — mainly Flitwick, McGonagall, and Sprout — all continued to throw glares at Snape and the Carrows from the corners of their eyes. Professor Slughorn looked determinedly ignorant as he focused on his food — probably trying not to get on anyone's bad side, as usual, the coward.

I returned my gaze to the plate before me, finding I had little appetite. Although I was in the same Great Hall that I'd spent so many wonderful meals in, it felt different. Without Dumbledore, Hogwarts didn't really feel safe, and I couldn't believe I was admitting that — it was basically the same thing as saying I missed Dumbledore. But to be quite honest, I didn't feel anything specific toward Dumbledore. I didn't care that he was dead; it only affected me because it affected the wizarding world.

"Oi."

Mirah's voice caught me off guard, and I jumped, looking up to meet her sea-blue gaze. She was staring at me with a rather stern look. She glanced down at my plate meaningfully, and I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered. "I get the point."

Mirah narrowed her eyes as she shoved a forkful of turkey into her mouth, and she didn't relieve me of her glare until I'd scooped myself some mashed potatoes and taken a bite.

As soon as she looked away, I set my fork down, turning subconsciously toward Draco. The first thing I noticed was that he had his chin resting in his hand, and he stared blankly at the table, his silver eyes dull and tired. Then, I noticed his plate was untouched — there wasn't even any food on it.