Chapter Sixty-One

I was startled from my dreams by a knock at the door.

"Housekeeping!"

I sat up, rubbing my eyes groggily. The lady at the door knocked again, and fear sank into my stomach. Was it really room service, or was it someone just trying to get me to open my door?

When I gave no response, the other side of the door silenced, and I could just make out footsteps departing from the door.

I sighed in relief, placing a heart to my chest as if it could calm my racing heart. I'd already been staying at this inn for four nights; shouldn't I be a little more relaxed now?

I flopped back onto the pillows, groaning as I felt the pain in my back from the stiff mattress. I missed Draco's bed. I missed waking up with him next to me. I missed enjoying a quiet breakfast with him in his room.

But most of all, I just missed Draco.

I hoped he was all right. I wished he was here with me, but if Draco had left the manor, he was likely to be punished — the Dark Lord was staying with them, after all. The Malfoys had to do their best to make his stay hospitable. And surely, I wouldn't be welcome nor safe under the same roof as You-Know-Who.

I felt my heart stutter painfully as I remembered the moment Draco told me I had to leave..:

"Okay."

Draco stared at me, his face drawn with disbelief. "Really? Just like that?"

"I know there's no point in arguing," I admitted, but in reality, it was the way he'd looked, how he'd spoken when he told me the news.

He was utterly terrified, not just for my life, but his, too, and the lives of his parents. He was paler than usual, and both Draco and his parents looked rather ill. They were walking on eggshells, speaking in low voices, and glancing over their shoulder every other second.

Their behavior scared me, and I knew this was far more serious than I understood.

Draco stared at me for a moment longer before he reached out, grabbing my shoulders and pulling me into his chest. "Thank you."

"Please don't," I begged him in a whisper, trying to hold back tears. If he made this any sweeter, I wouldn't be able to leave.

Draco hugged me tighter, his lips brushing the top of my head. "I'm sorry." I knew he wasn't just apologizing for making me leave, but apologizing for separating us, purposely making it so that neither of us could protect the other. He was putting strain on both of our nerves, and I was sure we both knew the stress that would come from being apart.

He pulled away, then, taking my hand in his and explaining the plan to me. I was to take a cab from the manor to the nearby town, and then take another cab to a different location. I was to repeat this several times until I knew no one was on my tail. Then, instead of heading directly home, I had to stay in an inn until I was positive that no one would come for me. Only then could I finally go home, to the Hollands' house.

"Don't write to anyone unless you absolutely have to, and if you do, do not mention where you are. The post isn't safe anymore."

I nodded, well aware of this. Unfortunately, that would mean I wouldn't know whether Draco was okay until it was safe to write, and even then, the letter might never make it to him, or his response could get lost on its way to me. The only surefire way to communicate was in person, and who knew when I would see him next?

"Don't contact anyone, and don't leave the inn. I know it's a lot to ask, but I just have to be sure you're okay —"

I squeezed Draco's hand. "I know. I promise I'll be safe."