Chapter Thirty-Nine

I made sure to wipe my tears away before I slid off the bed and crept across the floor, opening the door carefully and peeking into the hallway.

It was pristine; the stone floor was mostly covered with a magnificent carpet, and the dark walls were lit with torches, which threw flickering shadows over the faces of those within the many hanging portraits.

I started forward out of the room, walking carefully down the hallway. Multiple doors led off to heaven-knows-where, and I was beginning to worry whether I would get lost when the hallway opened up to a grand marble staircase leading down into what looked like the entrance hall.

I was about to start descending the stairs when I heard a familiar voice drifting from somewhere downstairs.

"...sent Death Eaters after her family, but why? There had to have been a reason —"

Draco was cut off by his mother's voice as she said, "I don't know, Draco. Your father would have answers for you, but I don't know much more than you —"

"You know something, though!" Draco insisted. "I can tell that you're hiding something. Mother, please...." he trailed off, his voice pleading.

Mrs. Malfoy sighed. After a moment's silence, she spoke up, her voice uneasy.

"He often sends people to take care of... deserters."

It was silent once more, and when Draco finally replied, he spoke in a horrified whisper, so I could barely hear what he said.

"You think Brianna's parents were...?"

"I can't be sure," Mrs. Malfoy responded in the same whisper, but her voice sounded slightly more frantic, as though she were trying to reassure her son. "There's really no way to tell, unless we could speak to him ourselves —"

"Or we could just ask her parents when they come looking for her," Draco suggested, and I felt a wave of relief that I wasn't the only one hoping they were still alive.

"Draco...."

"No, Mother, I can't imagine what would happen if —" Draco broke off, heaving a shaky sigh. "I don't know what I would do... there's no way — she can't be all alone, Mother, she just can't."

"She isn't, Draco," Mrs. Malfoy reassured, "she has relatives. She has you."

"That's not the same."

"It's better than nothing, though...."

"Still," Draco's tone was suddenly determined, "I can't let her leave until I know for sure...."

There was a long silence, and then, "They should be here soon."

"Right," Draco's voice was oddly dismissive as he replied, and his footsteps echoed through the wide entrance room as he made his way toward the stairs.

I remained rooted to the spot at the top of the stairs, trying to piece together their words. What did Mrs. Malfoy mean by "deserters"? What was she implying?

And how had Draco known that the men from yesterday had been Death Eaters? Well, I suppose that would be the first obvious choice... but why would Death Eaters be after my family?

But even with all these questions racing through my head, the first thing I blurted when Draco reached the foot of the stairs was, "Who's going to be here soon?"

Draco looked up in shock, seeming surprised that I was standing at the top of the stairs. "How long have you been —"

"Not long," I lied, shrugging, and Draco looked relieved. He started up the stairs, only answering my question once he was a few feet away from me.