Chapter Fifteen

The end of term was nearing.

Gryffindor won against Ravenclaw, and Harry produced an amazing patronus against what he thought were dementors (but were really just Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle) before catching the snitch; Sirius Black broke into Gryffindor tower and shredded Ron's bed; and Buckbeak's hearing took place in London.

Just after Easter break, Buckbeak was sentenced to be executed. I'd been studying with Mirah in the courtyard when Harry, Ron, and Hermione hurried past me, heading for Hagrid's hut.

"What's going on?" I asked, jumping up and hurrying after them.

"Buckbeak's execution is today," Harry told me grimly.

"We're going to see Hagrid before — well, before it happens," Hermione said, her lips turned downward into a worried frown.

"Oh.... Can I come?" I asked, wanting to at least be there for them. I hadn't gotten very close to Hagrid myself, but I could tell he meant a lot to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"'Course you can!" Ron said brightly, smiling despite his concern for Hagrid.

We emerged from the courtyard to find Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle crowded together, peering down into Hagrid's yard.

Draco made a sound of acknowledgement as we neared, and he jumped up, a wide grin on his face as he asked, "Come to see the show?"

"You!" Hermione snarled, shoving her hand into her pocket and whipping out her wand. "You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!" she cried, jabbing her wand into Draco's throat as he backed into one of the large stones surrounding the area, whimpering all the while.

I scrunched my nose at how pathetic he was acting. I was almost embarrassed to be watching.

"Hermione, no!" Ron exclaimed. "He's not worth it!"

It was silent as we waited with bated breath, until finally, Hermione lowered her wand, turning slowly back to us.

Draco scoffed, laughing along with his goons as if he found it funny that he had narrowly escaped being hexed.

I had the sudden urge to hit him, to shut him up, and apparently, I wasn't the only one.

At that moment, Hermione whirled around, throwing her fist into Draco's face with as much strength as she could muster.

Draco's head jerked back into the stone with a sickening crack, and he stumbled.

Harry, Ron, Crabbe, Goyle, and I all stared at Hermione, completely flabbergasted.

Crabbe and Goyle helped Malfoy up — he crumpled against the stone, looking both dazed and humiliated — and the three of them ran from us, looking back at Hermione anxiously. I stared after them, feeling a disgusting anger rise up into my throat.

"That felt good," Hermione said, and I laughed with Harry as Ron said, "Not good, brilliant!"

They continued on down to Hagrid's hut, but I told them I was going to get back to studying, and they should go on without me.

I hurried into the courtyard, finding Malfoy sitting at the fountain, holding one hand to the back of his head and rubbing his jaw with the other.

I marched up to him, fuming. "What the hell is wrong with you?" I demanded.

Draco looked up at me in defiance. "Me?! What the hell is wrong with Granger?!"

"Do you think it's funny that Buckbeak's getting executed?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "It's just a bloody animal, Brianna!"

I clenched my jaw angrily, glaring daggers. "You're the one acting like an animal!"