Twenty

Jax sat across from his parents in a local cafe, wishing like hell he hadn't called them. Having not spoken to them in a while, he figured he'd give them a call earlier this morning to see how things were, if they were well, but his intention was not to accept meeting them at a cafe so they could ask about Natalie.

But hell, it was over with now. He didn't tell them why they split up, as it was none of their business, he just let them know that he and Natalie were no longer an item. And they were disappointed, sure. Especially his Mother, as she adored Natalie for her taste in fashion.

“We just want you to be happy, Son,” his Father said. “Perhaps marriage just isn't in the cards for you.”

Though his Mother, “but don't give up, honey. There is a woman out there, waiting, and when you meet her, you won't know what's hit you.”

Jax took a swig of his water, wanting nothing more than to stand from his seat and walk out. Not for what they said, because he was used to it, but because of the woman who appeared in his thoughts.

“I might just lay low for a while. Focus on training.”

He regretted it the second he said it, because his Mother looked ready to cry.

“But If I meet someone, you'll be the first to know,” Jax told her, watching her eyes light up. Huh, as if. He was almost certain that he had that woman in his life already, and he didn't need his Mother's influence to make her run, he'd done it himself.

Jax had thought about calling her. Many times, actually. Hell, when she left his apartment that day he even wanted to run after her and kiss her again, yet for some reason he didn't, nor did he ring her. He'd debated on sending a simple text. Hope you're having fun. How's Hawaii? Something simple, like that, to see if things were okay between them, yet every time his fingers typed out the message, the send button never got tapped. He definitely knew they weren't okay, especially after Ty's phone call that occurred when she were at the airport.

“How about the women you train, Son? Are any of them nice?”

Jax tried to occupy himself on something, something other than the meddling glint that seemed to spark up in his Mother's eyes.

“Son?”

“Yeah, they're nice.” Women from Prenton were always nice. “But I'm not interested in them. They're my clients.”

“Well, a bit of romance at work never hurt nobody.”

He silently groaned. This was not how he wanted to spend his Thursday afternoon. “Look, I've got some errands to run. It was nice to catch up with you both.”

“Son, don't leave just yet. Your Mother and I never see you any more since you moved.”

Well, that was the plan. Jax leaned back in his seat, and with an exhale of breath, nodded. “Not for long.”

His Mother continued to stare at him. “My friend, Margaret, has a daughter called Stephanie. She's a right beauty, Son.”

“That's lovely, Ma. Tell her I said congrats.”

“Jax,” his Mother sighed. She hated his sarcasm. “I think you'd be a right pair together. You'd have beautiful children.”

Jax glanced at his Father for help, but he only shrugged, looking slightly amused.

“Come to think of it, Ma, I've got more than just errands to run. I've got a date. Fact, I should have been there to pick her up ten minutes ago.”

The excitement that spread across his Mother's face didn't last long when his Father bellowed out a laugh. Jax kissed his Mother on the cheek and patted his Father's shoulder.

“See you both soon,” Jax gave two fingered salute and left the cafe.

_

Later that evening, Jax found himself on his phone in bed, googling the time zone of Hawaii. On Wednesday, he had asked Ty what time Marlow's flight was back to the UK, so he was relieved when he realised she would be boarding it soon.

But he found himself staring at his phone, like he had been for the past week. Not knowing what to text her. Not knowing how. There was no telling that she would even reply to him, considering how they left things.

Hope u had a good week. Looking forward to seeing u.

He deleted it with a groan.

How has ur holiday been? Hope u are okay.

Again, it got deleted.

Jax turned onto his side, restless, tired, completely out of it. He hadn't felt this nervous in a long time. And over a damn text. What was the worst that could happen? She wouldn't reply, sure, but then he would go to her when she arrived tomorrow morning and sort things out.

Have a safe flight.

He sent it, and then rolled over onto his back. Dammit, he had never felt so exhausted. At night, all he could think about was Marlow. That kiss. Her soft, soft lips. Her small waist under his finger tips. The sweet moan that echoed from her lips when he kissed her deeper. And then she left for a whole week. 7 days had never gone so slow. He needed to see her.

His phone vibrated and Jax glanced at the screen, relieved she had replied.

Who is this?

Jax's jaw clenched, frustrated. She had deleted his number.

I'M SO SORRY!

Sorry for basically vanishing for 2 weeks. Sorry for the short chapter. I've been so busy, with work and sixth form, that I've just had the time to even write a word. But I wrote this in under an hour so please forgive me if it's not my best. Marlow will be back in England in the next chapter so I will be able to write more, but again, I am really sorry if it's not what u expected.

This story is close to it's ending, also. As of now, it's the build up to Marlow's half marathon, and well, after that, it's over.  Crazy, right? Feels like I only started writing this last month. But hey, when one ends, another one starts.

OH, and I uploaded something new : http://www.wattpad.com/story/32093307-anomalous