Eight

Marlow could remember when Jax went out with Melissa Arkat in school. She could also remember when he found her kissing another boy in the toilets. He was smitten for her, and didn’t deserve to be treated the way he was. But they were sixteen then. It was young love, Marlow figured. She had never experienced young love herself, but others had told her it’s nothing compared to the real thing.

She could see, from the tight grip Jax held on the steering wheel, and the heavy, concentrated frown that sat on his face, that he was having a hard time dealing with it. He truly loved Natalie, and Marlow couldn’t imagine what he must be going through as they drove closer to his apartment.

“Do you mind if we stop somewhere to get a bite to eat?”

Jax glanced at his watch. “Sure. We’ll pass a petrol station soon.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of McDonald’s breakfast.”

He raised his eyebrows. “You’d want to throw away what you’ve done so far, for a few pancakes?”

“And an egg mc’muffin,” she added. “We’ll do an extra session or something.”

His lips twitched slightly. “No can do. There’s a protein bar on the back seat. You can have that.”

Marlow stared at him. “Are you really going to take charge over everything I eat?”

“If you want to tone, then yes. It’s not easy, Marlow, especially in the little time you’ve given me.”

“Given you? If you remember, it was you who pushed for me to agree.”

“Right, it was.” He nodded.

She wanted to ask why but held herself back. The answer wouldn’t benefit her in any way.

“What’s in the protein bar?” she asked after some silence.

“Raisins.”

Marlow sighed. It looked like she were going without breakfast.

“You have to eat something,” Jax said.

“I’m not eating raisins, so unless you have something else back there, I’m going without.”

His lips curved to a small smile. “You’ve always been lippy.”

Marlow glanced at him, frowning. “Excuse me?”

“Well, from what I remember in school, anyway.”

She remained unamused.

“You never took shit, you know? Always stood up for yourself. Even in front of the teachers. I admired that.”