Seventeen

When Tuesday came, Marlow was back home and back at work. It always felt strange when she returned from Ty's. Having spent several days with company, coming back to her empty apartment was rather unsettling. But she was never there, anyway. She finished work at 4pm and would head straight to the gym. Although Jax now lived ten minutes away from her and she could easily text him and tell him she wanted a session, she would rather go on her own. Her focus was more consistent when alone, and after their conversation on Sunday where she made up her mind to seduce him, he needed a few days to herself to make a plan.

Marlow started on the treadmill. She loved running, hence her excitement for the marathon next month, but running on the treadmill was never the same. With her earphones in, however, the time seemed to pace quicker, and she was more than relieved when the 30 minutes ended.

She moved onto the leg extension machine next. She hated this more than the treadmill. But not for the fact it were boring and nothing like the scenery of the outdoors, but because it was hard. Even on the lowest weight, she struggled. Relying on her left leg to lift the whole weight was not possible, so the involvement of her right foot was crucial. Painful, too. She could never do many of them.

She tried to focus on something other than the pain in her right ankle. Her music wasn't loud enough. And the scenery in front of her wasn't the least bit entertaining. The bottom of the gym, the section with the dumbbells, was filled with muscular men in tank tops. No surprise there. And the top section, with the bicycles, was occupied by women, mostly teens. No surprise there, either. Her eyes glanced to her left to see people on the mats. A man and woman. It looked as if he were timing her, as it seemed, from behind – the only view she had – that he was staring at the watch. He stood up, then, and made his way towards the vending machine, and that's when she recognized him.

Shit. Marlow's eyes widened. Shit, shit, shit.

It was Jax. And it looked like he were in the middle of a session.

She wanted to bow her head so he wouldn't see her, but she also wanted to watch how he acted with the woman he was currently training. Perhaps there was difference in the way he treated her?

A big difference, she soon noticed. His hands were on her. He'd touch her. Her arms, to guide her to doing correct push ups. And he would hold her stomach, for some reason. Perhaps to inform her of where she were targeting. But even so, those reasons seemed pathetic. There was no reason for Jax to be touching the woman. Jax didn't touch her. Hell, he didn't even join her on the mat when they had a session together. He would stand to her side and simply watch.

Her stare must have been hot on his skin, because he turned around and looked directly at her. She held her breath. If he were surprised, he didn't show it. Concerned, however, was a different story. His eyes, as he watched her continue with the leg extensions, were filled worry. He looked as if he wanted to march towards her, but thankfully, the woman on the mat said something, stealing his attention. Marlow exhaled a ragged breath, moving her eyes down to her lap.

But they soon found their way back to him. And soon, she found her heart racing when the woman left and he made his way towards her.

“Was she a client of yours?” Marlow asked, too sudden for her liking. She winced, annoyed at herself. Showing signs of jealousy definitely wasn't going to convince him to kiss her.

“Yes. She has been for the past year,” he nodded. “She's called Julie. Very wealthy. Live up Prenton.”

“Wow.” Marlow was impressed. “And she chose you as a trainer?”

Jax blinked at her, amused.

“Not that you're not a good trainer,” Marlow blushed, realising how offensive she sounded. “But if she's as wealthy as you say, and lives in a place like that, you'd think she would pay out for someone professional.”