Twenty One

“You're so tan!” Kira gushed. “I'm so jealous, Marlow. You're literally glowing.”

Marlow grabbed the menu from off the table. “Thanks. I feel great. A week in the sun can do wonders, huh?”

“Yeah. I'm counting down the days to our honeymoon.”

“You know, I'm starting to think the honeymoon is the only reason you want to get married so quickly.”

“Of course, Ty. I'm only with you for the honeymoon.”

Marlow laughed with them. “Have you really booked it before the wedding?”

“Well, we've booked the wedding. The date's all set, and stuff. But I figured I'd leave all the hard, fun stuff to you, you know, since you're the maid of honour.”

Marlow choked on her drink, eyes wide with surprise. “What?”

“That's why we wanted to meet you for lunch. Not only did we want to hear about Hawaii, but I waned to ask if you'd be my maid of honour.”

“Of course!” Marlow grinned. “Of course I will. I just assumed you'd have one of your best girlfriends to...”

“Yeah, I think they assumed that, too. But they'll be bridesmaids. You've become a really good friends of mine, Marlow, and not just because you're Ty's sister.”

“You're going to make me cry,” Marlow groaned, laughing.

“No crying,” Ty huffed.

“Oh, ssh, you, we'll cry if need be,” Kira snorted. “Ty's also got something to ask you, but first, tell us more about Hawaii.”

“Well, I'm nervous now. You're not going to ask me to be the best man, too, are you?”

Ty burst out laughing. “As much as I'd love to see you juggle both, no, that's not what I want to ask. But since we're on the topic, I guess now is the right time.”

“Sure. Who have you asked? That guy you work with, the one with the ginger beard?”

Ty warily glanced at Kira, who, also looked a bit unsettled.

“What's going on?” Marlow laughed nervously. “Why are you both looking at me like that?”

“I asked Jax to be my best man,” Ty said, watching her.

Just when she wasn't thinking about him, someone brings him up!

She hoped that the ache on her face didn't show, but clearly, by the sympathetic looks on both of theirs, it did.

“Is that a smart idea?” Marlow asked. “I mean, he's only been back here for what, a few weeks?”

“I'm sure,” Ty nodded, staring at his sister's blank face. “I bought it up because Kira and I thought it was a good idea, if you'd meet up once a week to start planning. He's on his way now to join us, so we can discuss it further.”

“But...” Kira paused, “if it's too hard for you, then we completely understand.”

Marlow finished her drink with a frown. “Sorry, too hard for me? What do you mean?”

“Well, Ty and I don't know exactly what happened between you both as neither of you will tell us, but you've both been acting odd.”

“And what makes you think something happened?” Marlow tried to sound convincing. “I'm fine with meeting him to plan your wedding. Something did happen, only little and I regret it dearly, but I met someone in Hawaii, and I'm quite happy.”

“You met someone?!” Kira shrieked.

“You met someone?” Ty grunted. “What do you mean, you met someone?”