Thirteen

“I do appreciate it, love.” Dana watched Marlow lay the blow-up bed on the living room floor. Ty and Jax had altered the sofa's so that it could fit on the floor and two duvets were folded on the rug, ready for use. Marlow was more than relieved to find that her brother owned more than one spare duvet. She could share everything, just not those that interfered with the comfort of her sleep. Duvets, especially.

“Don't thank me, thank Ty. I was willing to let you sleep on the floor.”

Dana shook her head, smiling. “No, you say that, but you wouldn't.”

“Yeah,” Marlow huffed, grabbing the electric pump. “I need to stop being so soft.”

“Soft yet so stubborn...” Dana trailed off, and then, “you get your stubborn side from your Father.”

Marlow stopped what she were doing. “You always bring him up.”

Sadness covered Dana's face. “To keep him alive, I guess.”

“He'll never be forgotten,” Marlow snapped, stern. “There is just no need for you to talk about him so often.”

Dana simply gave Marlow a sympathetic smile, because the anger was a front for the ache in the heart. “It will be 9 years next month. I want you and Ty to come home for it, we'll spend the day together.”

“Yes. Okay. Can we not talk about this now, just before bed?”

Talking and especially thinking about her Father before bed was something Marlow tried to steer clear of. It never brought no good. Nightmares or sleepless nights. She'd wake in a sweat, her ankle throbbing because she had dreamt about that day, and the pain was still so familiar.

“Right, I'm sorry dear, I didn't meant to upset you. How is your ankle?”

“You didn't upset me,” Marlow lied. “I just don't like... “ she paused, “it's fine. As I've told you before, it was just an ache.”

Dana's eyes filled with concern at Marlow's blatant lie. “It wouldn't hurt to tell the truth for once, you know. Admit that you're in pain. Perhaps it's time you went back to the doctors. They might prescribe you some new medication.”

“I don't need medication,” Marlow muttered. “Can we please talk about something different?”

“I shouldn't stay,” Dana said. “Kira and I are off out early tomorrow morning to find me a dress for Friday night.”

“Well, have fun. Goodnight Mum.”

When Dana left the living room, Marlow turned on the electric pump and sat on the floor, watching the air blow up the bed. She was extremely tired. Her body ached from today's training, and her ankle was still sore – not that she was going to tell anyone. She would suffer in silence until the pain went away. It always did.

“I'll finish it off.”

Marlow jumped, startled at the sound of Jax's voice and looked up to see him stood in the doorway.

“It's fine, I've got it,” she replied.

“I was going to do it, but Ty pulled me about Friday. He wants to know if I'm taking someone.”

Marlow caught his gaze. “And, are you?”

“Are you?

“I asked first.”

Jax took a seat on the floor next to her to help with the bed. “I was going to ask if you'd go with me, if you haven't already invited someone.”

“Go with you, as in?”

“As in be my plus one. It saves me finding someone else.”

Marlow's heart deflated in her chest. “Right. Yeah, that makes sense.”