Ten

The café was small, not too busy considering it were a Tuesday afternoon. There were booths along the back wall and they took one closest to the window. Marlow didn’t waste any time before snatching up a menu and scanning down it, her stomach crossing off all she didn’t like the sound of. But mostly, everything sounded good. And the food smelt amazing.

“Can I take your order?”

Marlow’s eyes followed the sweet voice and saw a woman stood next to their booth, a pen and paper in hand. “Hi,” she greeted. “I’ll have the scrambled egg and beans on toast, with mushrooms, a chocolate smoothie and muffin.”

The woman nodded as she wrote down her order. “And you, sir?”

Jax pulled his surprised gaze away from Marlow. “I’ll have the scrambled egg on toast too, with a coffee, please.”

Nodding, the woman noted his down. “The food should be ready within ten to fifteen minutes.”

And then they were alone again. Marlow couldn’t really understand why she had agreed to have lunch with him. Hunger was the main reason, but something inside her wanted to get to know him all over again.

“So, what now?” Marlow asked him lightly.

He raised a brow at her.

“Well, I mean, you just emptied most of your apartment and kicked her out. What’s next?”

“Find a new place, I guess. Start over.”

“What about your clients?”

Jax started at her for a moment, and then he laughed. “You know, it might sound bad… but I haven’t even thought about them.”

She gave him a sympathetic smile. “You’ve had a lot going on. It’s not every day you get cheated on or help some woman in a bar get to her brothers house.”

“… And then find out she’s the same girl from science class, who, also had a huge crush on you.”

A blush replaced her small smile. “Yeah, well, I’m sure they’d understand.”

Jax couldn’t help but grin at her. She had changed the subject so quickly. “I still can’t believe it’s you, you know.”

She met his eyes, gave an innocent shrug. “That’s what losing weight, growing taller and changing the colour of my hair does, I guess.”

“But your eyes; they haven’t changed. I don’t know how I didn’t notice them, back in the pub.”

He knew her eyes?

“Your left eye is a bit of a brighter blue, but only slightly, than the right.”