Twenty Two

There were times when Marlow would think about the night her car broke down and what

would have happened if she didn't accept Jax's offer. Her thoughts would lead her to thinking about the other ways she could have dealt with that situation. Remaining in her car for the night was the first one, but that didn't secure her safety, so she crossed that off. Turning on her hazzard lights and waiting for someone to pull over and help, not that there were many people on the road at that hour, but looking back now, she wished she had done just that.

Those thoughts only occurred after she kissed him. Before that, things were fine, almost. His constant questioning sure did her head in, but their training sessions were moving along and she found herself having fun. After the kiss, when he let her walk out of his apartment without a word, was when she wished that she didn't accept his help that night. It would have saved them, really. He would have got drunk and hooked up with a random woman, like he planned, and she would have made her way to Ty;s, hopefully in one piece, without her high school experience being dragged up and heart being broken.

But, she did accept. And now she found herself sat in his apartment, in the midst of an argument of the colour beige.

“That's brown,” Marlow repeated harshly. “Big difference.”

“It's beige.” Jax turned his laptop screen towards Marlow's direction. “See, no difference. They are the same colours.”

Marlow puffed out a deep breath and shook her head. Had they really been arguing over a colour for the past fifteen minutes? They had been planning the catering side of Ty and Kira's wedding for the past 2 hours, and it was going rather well until it came to table decorations.

“This is the colour Kira gave us an example,” Marlow snapped as she held up the piece of silk. “This is beige, Jax. The colour on your screen is brown. Dark brown.”

Jax met her narrowed gaze. “All right, then, if we can't agree, let's move on to something else.”

“No, we're not dropping and starting things. Kira wants beige, so she's getting beige. If you don't like it, then feel free to give her a call. I'm certain she'll agree with my eye, not yours.”

He cleared his throat. “You know, you are really hot when you're angry.”

Marlow's eyes left her laptop screen and caught the amused glint in his eyes. It was clear his little remark was one that expected a harsh reply, so she bit her tongue and continued with her ordering.

“Marls,” he spoke. “I said you're-”

“Yes, I heard you, Jax. But are you really going to be that much of an ass and repeat when you can clearly see I don't find it funny? I'm not in the mood for your games, Jax. I'm here because I'm the maid of honour and it's my duty to help with the planning. It''s doesn't, however, require me to sit here and be disrespected.”

Tears welled in her eyes and Marlow hated herself for it. Why was she so weak? Her intention was to sit there and show no sign of annoyance to his comment, but she simply couldn't do it. He had hurt her too much for it to slide.

“No. Marls. No, that's not... I didn't mean to upset you.” He moved next to her and his hand, out of impulse, flew to rest on her knee. And it got swatted away faster than it landed. Huh, Jax swallowed, hard. That was expected.

“I'm sure you didn't,” Marlow snarled. “You probably expected me to blush and fall to my knees, right? Well, sorry if my kiss gave you the wrong impression, Jax.”

If she wanted to make him feel like a jackass, she sure succeeded.

“My comment was intended to do so at all, Marlow. All I wanted was for you to laugh, or hell, smile at least, so we no longer had to sit in such an awkward atmosphere. I hate that you're so cold with me, its-”