Six

Marlow stood in the female changing rooms of the gym as she cursed the hell out of leggings. She pulled at her black vest, so much so that it was close to loosing its shape, but that was the least of her concerns, because all she could think about was hiding her pink thong. Cheap leggings. Cheap, see – through leggings that show just about everything. Why would she wear the brightest underwear, the smallest piece of panties she owned, on the first session of training with Jax?

It didn't help that her vest top wouldn't cover her bottom. If it were longer, she would spend the session constantly pulling it down, yet with it being well fitted there was no possibility of that happening. She was screwed, really.

“Ready?” Jax asked her when she joined him by the lockers. “I've managed to get us a private room upstairs.”

Marlow raised her eyebrows. “How?”

He pulled what looked like an ID card from his joggers pocket. “This gets me access to pretty much every gym in the city.”

The only room free, was one at the far end of the corridor. It was a studio, with mirrors covering the back wall and a stack of weights by the small window.

“I'll put some music on,” Jax said. “You can start stretching.”

She did as he said. “So, how does this work?”

“I workout with you. Push you to your limits.”

Limits? Marlow reached her toes before moving onto her quadriceps. “How far?” she asked, slightly worried. “Is there some sort of code word to stop? You know, something I say if I'm going to pass out.”

His lips curved slightly. “You won't pass out.”

“Well, you just said I'm going to be pushed to my limit. How far is that?”

With music now playing quietly in the background, he joined her in the middle of the room and began to stretch, also. “When you feel as if your body can't, and won't do one more rep. When you hate me and feel like giving up.”

Well, she was half way there.

“Or, when that ankle of yours gives out.”

Immediately her posture stiffened. “That won't be happening.”

Jax studied her carefully. “I need to know. If there is something wrong and I push you too far, you could really injure yourself.”

“There's nothing wrong with my ankle.”

“But if it starts hurting, you tell me.”

“Okay. Can we get on with it?”

From the shelf at the back of the room, Jax grabbed a mat and two ankle weights.

“Are there any areas you want to target?”

She kept her hands behind her back, hoping it somewhat covers her thong that, still, was on show like a firework display. Bright and colourful.

“My stomach,” she said,”And my thighs.”

Then his eyes were on her legs and she felt very conscious. “You said you run often?”

“Yes.”

“Your hamstrings and quads should be strong, then. I'll see how you do today. Anywhere else?”

“My-” she paused,”err, bottom.”

He grinned at her. “Great.”

Marlow frowned, cheeks the colour of... well, her thong.

“As in, great let's get started.” He laughed. “I'll start you off with some cardio.”

Jax set her to do some jumping jacks, lunges, and burpees. Marlow detested burpees. She simply couldn't do them.”

“Straighten your legs,” he told her.

“I'm trying!”

“Try harder. Straight.”

Marlow panted heavily, struggling to catch her breath. She collapsed onto her front and groaned. “I'm done with the burpees.”

Jax's laughter came to a halt. The sound of him clearing his throat made Marlow glance up at him. He looked amused.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

She narrowed her eyes slightly. “You're meant to help me get better, aren't you? Not laugh at me?”

“It's not that,” he licked his lips, eyes filled with laughter.

“Then what?”

His eyes travelled from her face and down to her backside.

Marlow, still on her front, finally understood, and was up off the floor like a lightning bolt. Cheeks, bright red and burning.

“You like pink, do you?”

She closed her eyes, wanting to cry with embarrassment. “I didn't realise. I was woken early and just grabbed something.”

“A thong,” he grinned. “A pink thong.”

Alright,” Marlow mumbled. “I get it. Har Har Har, my leggings are see-through and I'm wearing a bright pink thong. Can we forget it?”

Jax cleared his throat with a small smile. “Of course. I'll see what your core is like. Start with some sit-ups. Reps of 10.”

She did as he said without any hesitation and he used that time to try and push the sight of Marlow's bottom out of his head. As if it wasn't hard enough watching her complete jumping jacks with the slight of her cleavage on show, bouncing, he soon was going to have to suffer with the sight of her doing squats. Perhaps standing in front of her, and not behind would help. Or would that just make it harder, knowing and not witnessing?

His thoughts were making him angry. This was Marlow Ryan, the girl he worked with in science and the girl crushed on him. But oh, Marlow was definitely not a girl any more. A woman. A woman grown in all the right places. Her figure could make a man cry, and her face was all more powerful. Beautiful. God damn beautiful, and he hated that.

“2 more sets,” he told her, still watching. “Don't look at your knees, look at the ceiling. It will stop the strain on your neck.”

Make her do squats. The voice in his head wouldn't go away.

“Bicycle crunches,” he said,”and put these on your ankles.” Jax handed her two, two pound ankle weights.

“Is this how it always works?” she asked. “Do you not join in?”

“I just want to watch you today.”

Marlow's throat somehow fell dryer. “Watch me?”

He caught her gaze. His chest tightened. “Yeah, see where you're at.”

“And tomorrow?”

“We'll do this again, but more intense. And in the evening, if you're not too sore, we can go for a jog.”

She nodded. “And I'll be toned in time for my holiday?”

“You'll see improvements, but with only a few weeks, they won't be major.”

“Will this continue after?” she asked. “Only, a month after I come back from Hawaii, I've got a marathon.”

He raised his eyebrows. “If that's what you want.”

“I'll pay you and everything, since you'll have to travel 20 minutes or so.”

“Don't worry about the money,” Jax said, watching her. “I really don't care about that.”

“I couldn't,” she shook her head. “I at least have to give you something in return.”

Jax inhaled slowly. Jesus, he could think of many ways she could re-pay him.

“I'll let you know,” he muttered, “when I think of something.”