Sixteen

Today was Jax's last day of stay at Ty and Kira's apartment. They had offered him longer, if need be, but Jax wouldn't accept it. There was so much for him to do. Sorting out his living arrangements was one thing. Having visited several flats and apartments, he could two favoured in mind, so all he needed to do was re-visit them for a final decision and put the deposit down. His old apartment, too, the one now simply filled with boxes of his belongings, needed to be sold. At least that job wasn't down to him, there were agents for that.

And at lease choosing a new apartment wasn't only down to him, either. He was familiar with technical stuff, but when it came down to space and décor, he was as clueless as a bat. So, with this in mind, he asked Marlow to join him and be an extra pair of eyes; he remembered her offer to help him make a final decision and decided to take her up on it.

“I wouldn't be much help,” Marlow shrugged, trying her best not to look at him. She didn't know how to look at him after last night. God, she wasn't sure she would be able to look at him the same again, ever. She was beyond embarrassed and wanted nothing more for him to leave.

“Half hour, hour, tops?” he continued. “I just want you to see the apartments in case there is anything wrong that I haven't spotted.”

“I'm not good at spotting.”

“Then don't worry about it. Just stand with me and act like you're happy to be in my company. Please, Marls, I wouldn't ask if I didn't need you.”

Need you. Marlow held back her snort. “Fine, I'll go. But don't expect... you know, reports on how sturdy the walls are.”

His lips twitched slightly. “I wasn't expecting that, anyway. Though, I'm quite intrigued now that you've mentioned it. How sturdy can walls be?”

Oh, GOD, but the innuendo within his words made her squeak.

“I don't know. That's what I said-” she paused to try and un-fluster herself, “I don't know.”

The tension between them only grew stronger as they drove to the first apartment. Marlow wasn't sure if he felt it, because he drove with no sign of discomfort on his face at all. Fact, he looked rather relaxed, rather calm and all emotions opposite to the ones racing throughout her. Because of course, it was she who had the dream. It was all she could think about as they pulled into a narrow street and parked outside a tall building with spiralled stairs around it.

There was no way she would be able to look at him the same. Her mouth last night, thanks to cocktails, had screwed her over, but her dream last night had screwed her past the point of being screwed over; quite literally, too.

“This is the one I like most,” Jax told her as they made their way up the spiralled stairs, towards apartment number 4. “It's a bit far from my old place, but the area is nicer here.”

Yeah, she knew that. If they had driven a further twenty minutes they would have arrived at Marlow's flat. She had to find something wrong with this apartment that he so seemingly liked, because then he would have to look elsewhere for a place and it would be some where far away from her.

There was a man stood outside apartment 4 wearing a grey suit and holding a booklet. When he saw them, a smile crossed his lips. “Ah, Mr Ferro, is it? Here to have a second look?”

“That's me,” Jax nodded.

“Great. And I see you've brought your girlfriend. I must say, this apartment is more than well suited for couples, especially for those your age.”

“Oh, I'm not his girlfriend,” Marlow informed the man. “No, we're not involved at all.”

The man looked apologetic. “Forgive me for jumping to conclusions. I just assumed because you both look so well together. Are you ready to go inside?”