Twenty Three

With the half marathon only 2 days away, Marlow found herself taking jogs day and night. Sometimes, she would jog with ankle weights, small ones that seemed to weigh ton, to strengthen them. Her biggest fear was that she'd get half way and it would play up on her. She had dreamed about that happening, several times, a nightmare, rather, where she would be half a mile from the finish line, and her ankle would give way, resulting in her flat on her face. Everyone would laugh. Some might rush to see if she needed help. Her Mother would call an ambulance. Jax was there.

Definitely a nightmare.

She was, that Monday, currently sat in the kitchen of her Mother's apartment, red faced, sweating.

"You know I only worry because I love you," Dana sighed lightly. "I just don't want you working yourself too hard, darling."

Marlow managed a tired smile, because truthfully, she knew she was indeed working herself too hard. Though, no one needed to know that.

'I know, I appreciate it, I do. But, I need to do this, Mum. For myself and for Dad.'

Dana placed her tea onto the side and felt her heart jump in her chest. She didn't say anything, not just yet, she simply watched her daughter try to hide the fear, the pain, from her face.

"We always talked about running a marathon together, you know..." Marlow laughed at the memory. 'He always said we'd make a bet on who would come first. I'd tell him there was no way either of us would come first.'

Dana cleared her dry throat. "Yes, I remember that well. He will be watching you on Monday, I know he will."

Marlow smiled sadly and as she went to grab her glass of water from the side, the door rang. "Are you expecting anyone, Mum?"

"Oh, of course!" Dana jumped from her seat. "I completely forgot."

More than confused, Marlow turned to face her brother. "Do you know what's going on?"

Ty looked at her. "No."

But then she heard Jax's voice.

"Alright, maybe I do."

Marlow glared at him. She couldn't believe it, not just Ty, but her Mother. "Why is he here?He's not part of the family. This day... it's..."

"This day is a special day," Ty said. "Mum likes Jax, so invited him for dinner."

"Yes, you're right, it's a special day. Dad's day. But if so, why is Kira not here? She is your fiancée- soon to be wife."

Ty bit his lip, couldn't help the laughter that came out. "Okay, you caught me. Mum is trying to set you up."

"Set me up?"

"She thinks you'll be good for each-other. I believe she thinks you'll make gorgeous babies."

Her face turned red from blush and anger.

"But..." Ty cleared his throat. "If you were to tell her some thing's happened between you both and you're talking right now, then I'm sure she would stop trying to meddle."

"Nothing has happened," Marlow snapped. "And I'm seeing Dillon, so it wouldn't matter if something did, anyway."

Marlow hated lying, especially to Ty, but it was crucial for him to stop going on about Jax. Still, despite that, her eye couldn't seem to leave him as he entered the living room, following behind her Mother.

"Oh, they're beautiful, Jax. Are they for Marlow?"

The flowers in his hands were hard to miss. She raised her eyebrows at her mother, not at all impressed.