7

Chapter Seven
The Heart and The Sword

Luella watched sparks of dark violet electricity bound out of Beatrix's hands as her head leaned on her hand, not focused on her work.

It had been a week since her dad was attacked by the Burned One and through that period, her powers were gawking with negative emotions. She managed to do more than she had in her first lesson, but that was only because of the consuming bleak of worry and fear that emerged from her.

Luella felt a droplet of snow land on her cheek.

"Finding me fascinating, ice queen?" Beatrix asked smugly.

"Please don't call me that," Luella sighed looking back at her side of the table. There was a pile of snow which she made into a snowman while the headmistress was distracted by the other students.

"You could at least stop making it snow around us," Beatrix spoke. "You're making it colder by the second."

Luella turned to face her again and Beatrix mirrored her actions, "Are your powers based on positive emotions?" The ice fairy questioned curiously.

Beatrix looked down and up again, mucking her head to the side, "so you did take make an offer up to account?" She said rhetorically, avoiding the question.

"No," Luella huffed.

Then her attention was attracted to the teacher approaching their desk, Luella's face tinted slightly as she saw Miss Dowling eye her miniature snowman. She nodded at Luella before she spoke, "as you know, magic is connected to emotions. However, not all emotions are reliable. Negative emotions may seem strong, but they will eventually drain you to the peak. They're untrustworthy."

Luella knew that the headmistress was directing her learning to her but she couldn't sense anything positive.  All she could ever think about where the possibilities of what could happen to Saul. She knew that the only way to heal the Burned One marks was to kill it, and she also knew that people were chasing it while she agonised in a classroom.

The ice fairy nodded while Miss Dowling motioned her to Bloom. Lue stood up from her seat and walked a few steps over to Bloom's small flickering fire.

The fire fairy, who wore a red shirt and a cosy cardigan, smiled up at Luella.

"The manipulation of ice can be used in a variety of motions. It can distinguish a flame, and can be powerful against others if the correct emotions are used."

Luella looked over at the small crackling fire that was in front of her, it wasn't that big. She focused on the air and space around her, the vibrations, and then on the fire. And In a moment, it burnt out, a little stream of smoke following it.
Lue looked at Miss Dowling, but she only surfed her hand over the group of sticks and made a larger fire than Bloom had.

"Try this," The headmistress challenged in a calm voice.

Luella nodded and focused again, but this time the flame only gave small flickers of vaporising. She sighed in deeply and attempted once more nothing.

The ice fairy exhaled, "I can't." She said doubtfully, her shoulders slumped. This new motion was harder than she thought.

"Very well," Miss Dowling replied, giving a reassuring smile. "We have the academic school year to improve," she finished, walking over to Beatrix who impressively showed her work which the headmistress complimented, in reply with a 'Got it, Miss D' which made the three girls turn around for a second.