Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Rafael Barba Point of view

I'm ADA, Rafael Barba. Most of the people I meet describe me as the brass, pushy, outsider for some reason. I knew I was cocky, but I still don't know why. I was never one for love. I mean I did have relationships, but it was more of lust than anything else.

For some odd reason I couldn't get the stunning SVU detective out of my head with her chocolate-brown eyes and luscious brown hair. When I first met her in the courtroom, it was like sparks were flying around the room. I wasn't really sure when I'd began to think of her as more than just a work associate.

I was sitting in my office going over some paper work when Benson popped into my head. My mind kept going back to her face. Everything about her was wonderful. The way she held herself seemed as if she was unbreakable.

It was such an odd feeling I had towards her only because we met not to long ago. I wasn't expecting to have such strong feelings towards her in such a small amount of time. Throughout the day while I was working on my papers, my mind would go back to those beautiful eyes and lips of hers.

'Oh how I would love to kiss those lips,' I thought as I touched my own.

'God Rafael, why are you thinking about Benson? You should be working on this file, not getting distracted over some lady. It must be the lack of caffeine,' I thought as I walked towards the coffee machine. What would I do without a cup of coffee?

"You'll probably go crazy Barba," I said as I took a sip of my coffee.

*Later that night*

I was finally done with all my file's paperwork, so I decided it would be a good idea to get a drink. I looked down at my watch only to be surprised that it was midnight. I grabbed both my coat and briefcase while leaving my office.

I told the taxi driver to take me to the bar closest to me. He ended up dropping me off at a little upscale bar. I would hear the squad sometimes talk about it once in a while. I didn't think much of it as I walked into the bar.

I looked around the bar where people were playing pool, drinking, plus amoung other things. I stopped in my tracks when I noticed Detective Benson was sitting, swirling her drink. I didn't expect to see her here. I was debating whether to leave or not, but before I could get one foot out the door I was pulled back by that angelic voice.

"Barba, are you heading out?" Olivia asked from the stool she was sitting on. I hesitated a bit before answering.

"Um no I just got here."

"Ooh good! Come have a drink with me."

As I am walking towards the bar, I feel torn. My professional mind was holding up a bright stop sign, reminding me that there were ethical boundaries indicating I should turn around and leave now. Every step I took in her direction had my desire pushing me forward until I took up the stool next to her.

Inhaling her scent, my mind switched to autopilot while I ordered my usual scotch. By the time it came, I had forgotten I had asked for it. We both sat in silence at first. I couldn't handle it. I felt that if I tried to talk I would say something stupid, so I tried to play it cool.

"So detective, what brings you here?" I asked bringing my drink to my lips.

'Oh how I wish they were Olivia's lips instead.'

"Tough case?" I muttered. Olivia sighed.

"You got that right," she said with a half-smile.

She looked back down at her drink, her semi smile slowly fading. It broke my heart seeing her unhappy.

"Remember the first time we met?" I asked trying to make up a conversation. It was to draw draw her mind from whatever the bad case was. I guess it worked because I heard a chuckle come from her.

"What? Why are you laughing?"

"Of course I remember that day. How could I forget it? When you opened your mouth at first I thought you were a cocky smartass, but you're not that half bad after all," she said with a smile. Seeing that smile brought joy to my heart.

"Oh, so I'm a cocky smartass?" I said with a slight chuckle.

"You forgot brass, pushy, and an outcast."

"Did I, or am I trying to not hurt your feelings?" She spoke sarcastically.

"Come on detective, we both know that I have no feelings," I gave her shoulder a gentle nudge, smiling at her.

"You know you're right Barba. You don't have any feelings," she said after ordering another drink.

"Oh please detective, don't sugar coat it for me. Oh, and it's Rafael out of work,"

I looked over at Olivia to come face to face with her chocolate-brown eyes. My stomach fluttered as I stared into her beautiful face. I quickly looked down at my drink.

"I don't plan to Rafael," she said smiling widely.

We drank together in silence for awhile. I didn't notice how close we were sitting, but even though I knew it was passing a line, I wanted to close the gap between us.

I decided to cherish those moments of silence because it was heavenly. I was already done with what I thought was my fourth drink, when I decided to call it a night.

"I should get home before I get completely drunk and make a fool out of myself," I said with a small smile.

"Did you drive here?" She asked.

"I'm not crazy! Of course I didn't drive. I took a cab. Did you drive?"

"Hell no. I took a cab," she said rolling her eyes.

I chuckled as I was paying the tab holding my arm out. I was hoping she would take it.

"Detective, let's share a cab. Maybe if we have each other to hold onto, we won't make fools out of ourselves if we fall," I said.

I was flabbergasted when she actually linked her arm with mine.

"You're right, we can't make fools out of ourselves," we walked out together.

I tried to hail a cab, but none would stop. I felt like I was wasting my time. I finally gave up.

"Let the pro show you," Olivia winked at me over her shoulder, while she pulled me closer to the end on the side-walk. Before I could prepare myself, she whistled loud and a cab passing by stopped.

"You made seem like a fool. Waving my hand all silly nilly. Why couldn't you have done that in the first place?" I questioned as we got into the cab, giving the driver both our addresses.

"Well I would never think of the day when I would hear Rafael Barba day silly nilly," she said laughing. I gave her a glare.

"Laugh it up, there won't be another time."

"Come on Barba, lighten up," she said placing her hand on my shoulder.

I instantly felt relaxed just by her touch.

We drove the rest of the way to her apartment in silence. I kept stealing glances at her, trying not to get noticed. I swear I couldn't stop myself. It was soon over when her apartment came up. I promise my heart clenched. I didn't want her to leave, but I also knew I couldn't ask her to stay.

"It's been fun Barba, really. We should get drinks again sometime."

I gave her a smile.

"Yeah, that would be nice," the driver stopped the car, and she opened the door.

"Goodbye detective."

She was one foot out the door when she stopped.

"Olivia. Call me Olivia," she said looking back at me with a smile. I smiled back at her.

"Goodnight Olivia."

"Goodnight Rafael."