Chapter 22

Kai's Pov

Madison and I had been walking for what felt like hours, and there was no sign of Zayn. It was now dark, and Madison resulted in holding my arm because she wasn't a big fan of the dark.

"What if he's just not—" Madison and I shared looks, hearing a branch snap.

"-Shh," I told her, pulling her closer, just in case it was a wild animal or something.

Fuck, what am I gonna do? There's no service, I thought. Madison was already scared enough as it is.

"It's right there," She said breathless, without thinking, she slid off her heels and launched it to the figure in front of us.

"What the fuck?" I knew that was Zayn's voice.

Madison and I walked over to Zayn clutching his cheek as he leaned against a tree. "Who the hell just creeps in the woods this late?" Madison asked Zayn.

"I was on my way back actually before you started throwing seven-inch heels," Zayn muttered, I noticed a bruise forming on his cheek.

"Great, everyone loves seven inches until it lands on your face," Madison mumbled.

"Kai? W-Why are you—"

"I was checking on you." I sighed.

"Can we talk?" His eyes looked up at me as if he still had hope I would forgive him. Why does everyone want to talk lately?

Madison sent me a look, "This other heel will be in your ass if you try anything."

"Sure, Z," I said, as Madison stepped back a bit.

"Look, I know I fucked up... but I tried to make up for it," He said, "I was the one who shot Max. I knew you wouldn't, so I did. I had my butler follow you guys to the hotel, and the night you went to the mansion, I trailed behind you. Luckily, Ariana and Victoria didn't see me in front of them,"

I raised an eyebrow, "Zayn,"

"He wasn't gonna get away with hurting you like that. I asked Lauren for her car that night since I figured you wouldn't recognize it so late at night."

Well, that mystery was solved.

"Where's the gun?" Madison asked.

"I gave it to my Dad, he knows how to handle it. I got rid of all the evidence,"

"That's figured out I guess." I shrugged. "Do you know what happened to Dalton's dad?"

"Normani, Dinah, and Ally hired some people to take care of him while we went on this trip since he's close to Rocky. The Gomez's are always looking for revenge, and we can't have them trying to hire hitmen on our asses."

"Isn't it weird how the posts stopped after Max got shot?" Madison pointed out.

"I don't think anyone close to us runs The Page, whoever does has some serious grudges against us all. Blaming each other only takes out one at a time, helping them," I said.

"Guys, we gotta get to the bonfire, it's in forty minutes." Madison interrupted. "We'll continue this another time."

The walk back took around thirty minutes, so I only had ten minutes to switch clothes and head to the fire. I decided on a simple black shirt, jeans and converse.

Madison, Zayn, and I were the last to show up and find seats. I found a seat in between Ariana and Courtney, while Zayn sat next to Lauren, and Madison next to Dalton.

"Is there a reason why you three are the only ones late?" Mr. Villa asked, drawing everyone's attention to us. He was honestly one of the biggest dicks, and I hated his class back in Freshman year.