Chapter Eleven

Jennie is in geography when Chahee walks in with blood on her fist and Jennie isn't sure why but she feels her stomach drop and her mouth go dry.

The feeling only gets worse when Chahee starts to make her way towards her with a smirk on her face. Jennie doesn't know how, but she knows, she knows something bad has happened and she can't help but let her thoughts flicker to Lisa and hope that whatever's happened, she's not involved.

"You can thank me you know," Chahee says when she reaches Jennie.

Jennie tightens her hand into a fist and tries to keep her voice level. Tries not to get angry before she knows what's happened.

"For what?"

"You haven't heard?"

"No."

"I sorted out that pain in the ass for you."

Jennie knows who she's talking about but doesn't want to believe it; surely Chahee wouldn't think that Jennie would thank her for that?

"Which pain in the ass?"

"That Lisa girl, the one who's always following you about."

Jennie feels her fist clench tighter and she has to stop herself from making it collide with Chahee's face. She swallows deeply and reminds herself to keep calm.

'Stay cool Jennie, you gotta keep calm. You don't know what's happened. Lisa is going to be fine.'

"What did you do to her?" Jennie asks and her voice comes out angrier than she intended.

"Let's just say that this isn't my blood."

Chahee holds out her fist for Jennie to see and Jennie thinks she might actually throw up. Because all Jennie can think about is Lisa. The Lisa who tries so desperately to fit in. Who is one of the best friends Jennie has ever had. Who can make Jennie laugh until she's crying and is also happy to talk about random shit till 3am. The Lisa who's braver than anyone Jennie knows and whose strength Jennie is constantly is awe of. The Lisa who just wants to be happy, who gets so much shit from everyone, the Lisa who doesn't deserve any of this.

It crosses Jennie's mind that this is all her fault. It was her 'friend' that did it, that did it for her, and Jennie hates herself. If Jennie wasn't insistent on being friends with her then Lisa wouldn't be in this mess, but Jennie can't stop being friends with her and she realises how selfish that might be, but she won't, she won't let her friends have the satisfaction.

Chahee is still smirking and Jennie sees red. Her palm meets Chahee's face and Jennie has the brief satisfaction of watching Chahee clasp her left cheek in pain before Jennie walks out of the room and strides down the corridor.

Jennie's brain is all over the place and she's not sure what she's doing or what she's going to say if she finds Lisa. She just knows she has to find her, has to apologise and then she can work out the rest from there. Jennie's just not sure what she'll do if Lisa doesn't forgive her, says she doesn't want to be friends with her anymore. Jennie would completely understand of course, but that wouldn't make it any easier.

When Jennie reaches the nurse's office it's empty and Jennie can feel the panic rising in her throat once again. But then he spots Suzy Bae hovering just down the corridor and she decides she might as well ask.

"Hi," Jennie greets awkwardly.

"They've sent her to the hospital."

"What?"

"They've sent Lisa to the hospital," Suzy explains, "that is what you were going to ask me right?"

"Yeah," Jennie replies slowly, "thanks Suzy."