Chapter Twenty-six

Jennie has been strangely absent today. Lisa is pretty sure that Jennie isn't avoiding her; it's just that it's one of those days where their paths never really cross through no fault of their own. Jennie would usually wait for Lisa to arrive, but her bus was running late and so she didn't arrive until after the bell, Lisa missed English to go talk to the head teacher about the 'incident' with Chahee and a rush to finish a geography essay meant that Jennie skipped on eating lunch with them.

Lisa feels slightly worried about how much she missed spending time with Jennie, it's not like she's dependent on her after all. Lisa happily went through nearly seventeen years of her life without spending time with Jennie Kim, and yet now he can't even seem to survive a day.

"Lisa!"

The sound of Jennie's voice is unmistakable and Lisa hurries to hide the smile that forms on her face when she hears it.

"Lili! Wait up!"

Lisa quickly pulls to a stop and turns around slowly before waiting for Jennie to join her. The girl is breathless, having run down the corridor, but there's still a kilowatt smile on her face and she still directs it straight at Lisa.

"What do you want?" Lisa asks.

She tries to take the hostility out of her tone, it's not like she's pissed at Jennie. Lisa has just had a rough day, and she really just wants to get out of this hellhole disguised as a school.

"I was in the library and I found this for you," Jennie says, placing a book in Lisa's already very full hands.

"Thanks," Lisa replies, sounding unsure.

"Well I didn't find it for you, it's more that I found it and then I thought of you."

"Thanks," Lisa repeats, her tone no more confident than it was before.

"What do you think?" Jennie asks.

"'How To Tame Your Inner Peacock,'" Lisa reads, "it sounds, uhm, well, interesting, I guess."

"It's about increasing your self confidence," Jennie explains, "it was probably a stupid idea but I just thought maybe it could help, maybe not, I honestly don't know what I was thinking, my brain is fried, all I can think about right now are tombolos and stuff."

Lisa nods as if she understands, and offers Jennie a genuine smile.

"It sounds like a great read," she says trying to inject enthusiasm into her words, "I'll start it tonight."

"You don't have to," Jennie says, attempting to tug the book back out of Lisa's hands.

"But what if I want to?" Lisa challenges.

"Then you're an idiot," Jennie mutters under her breath but her efforts to take the book from Lisa stop and the pair begin to walk down the corridor.

"So did you miss me today?" Lisa asks teasingly.

She expects a flippant answer or a joke in reply; instead Jennie turns to her with a small smile and a confused expression on her face.

"Yeah," Jennie says, "I kind of did."

Lisa's taken aback by Jennie's honest response but she recovers quickly.

"Well of course you did," Lisa replies, "I mean how could you not miss my dazzling personality?"

"Maybe you don't need this book," Jennie tells Lisa teasingly, "you seem to be plenty confident already."

"I guess so," Lisa says a hint of uncertainty in her tone.