Chapter Twelve

"So I think we need to have a little talk about yesterday," Rosé says as she places her plate down on the table.

"It's not a big deal."

"You went to hospital," Rosé points out, "am I going to have to wait until you're going home in a coffin to class it as a big deal?"

"Stop being dramatic Chaeng," Lisa sighs, "and they'd probably take me home in a body bag and then put me in a coffin anyway."

This time it is Rosé that sighs, and she does so loudly. Staring at Lisa with raised eyebrows as if waiting for her to apologise. Lisa just focuses on the food on the plate in front of her.

"Lisa," Rosè says her voice soft, "please can we talk about yesterday."

"I don't want to."

"Lisa please."

"I don't see why you want to know," Lisa snaps, "it's not like it happened to you."

Rosé ignores Lisa's harsh tone and fixes her with a level gaze before speaking in an even tone as if Lisa is a small child having a tantrum.

"I want to know because I care about you," Rosé says simply, "because you're my friend."

Lisa swallows her mouthful and places her fork down.

"Sorry I snapped."

"It's fine. So what did the doctor say?"

Lisa could be pissed about the patronising tone that Rosé is using but Lisa just feels tired and so she figures she might as well just get the conversation over and done with.

"My ribs are bruised, I was lucky it wasn't worse and well, I'm sure you can already see the killer black eye I'm sporting."

Rosé winces as Lisa speaks and is about to reply when another tray is placed down on the table and Jennie joins them.

"What are you guys talking about?"

"Lisa's face."

"Oh are we saying how cute it is?" Jennie asks.

Rosé rolls her eyes and makes a gagging noise. Lisa chooses to ignore her and chooses to ignore Jennie too. She focuses her attention in her food once again.

"I can't wait till she gets punished," Jennie says when she realises that Lisa doesn't feel like talking.

It's then that Lisa realises she doesn't know or she imagines that Jennie might be a little bit angrier.

"She already has been."

"What? Why didn't you say?"

"It's not that important."

"What's the verdict then?" Jennie asks.

"She's in isolation for a week and has been ordered to write a letter or apology."

"That's bullshit," Jennie replies, "she nearly broke your ribs Lisa, fuck, how the hell has she not been excluded, or suspended at least?"

"Apparently her dad is a very influential person and tried to pass it off as if she was just joking around," Lisa replies sarcastically.

"That's fucking stupid," Rosé says, "how the hell is nearly killing someone just joking around?"

"I don't want to talk about it. It's over, it's happened and there's nothing more we can do about it so can we please just not talk about it."

Jennie looks at her with a confused expression on her face but drops the conversation although Lisa notices that Jennie keeps a concerned eye on her whilst she eats her food. Lisa is beginning to think that with Rosé and Jennie looking out for her she might now have four parents. It's not a prospect that excites her.