Chapter Forty-one

xxx

There's something about watching Jennie hang out with Rosé's brothers that makes Lisa unreasonably happy.

Perhaps it's because Lisa is seeing another side to Jennie, a Jennie that is great with small children, is patient and sweet and happy to listen to them ramble on about their day. Or perhaps it's because cute girls who are good with kids are instantly twenty times cuter.

"You okay?" Lisa asks Jennie.

Jennie looks up from where she was analysing Jinyoung's drawing of a cat when she hears Lisa's voice.

"Fine thanks," Jennie says with a warm smile, "I was just admiring Jinyoung's art skills."

Lisa can't help but think that skills might be a bit of an overstatement.

Lisa's never really been very good with little kids. She's happy to admit they're cute but that doesn't make it any easier for her to put up with their incessant noise and need to be a centre of attention. Admittedly Rosé's little brothers are tolerable, nice even, but Lisa never seems to behave around them the same way Jennie is doing. It's as if Jennie has some sort of knack for making friends with little kids, another skill of Jennie's that Lisa wishes he had.

Jihoon sidles up to where Lisa is stood, half leant against the countertop and tugs on the end of her T-shirt, waiting for her to look down at him and give him her undivided attention.

"Is that your girlfriend?" Jihoon tries to whisper, however his voice is still quite loud and Lisa can tell Jennie has overheard when an amused smile graces the other girl's face.

"No," Lisa replies simply, "she's just a friend."

"She's very pretty," Jihoon tells Lisa, gesturing for her to pick him up.

This is honestly one of the longest conversations Lisa has ever had with him. Usually when she's round at Rosé's there's time for nothing longer than a casual greeting before Rosé is tugging Lisa up the stairs for them to play a game or watch the latest episode of whatever TV show they're currently obsessed with.

Lisa picks Jihoon up none the less, balancing him on one hip.

"She is," Lisa agrees, "but don't tell her because she already knows."

"She's very nice too."

"She is."

"So why isn't she your girlfriend?" Jihoon asks in confusion. "If I was old enough then I'd want her to be my girlfriend."

Jennie is still listening in to the conversation, it shows when she lets out a muffled laugh at Jihoon's comment.

"I don't think she wants to be my girlfriend."

"Do you want her to be your girlfriend?"

"Why are you so bothered mister."

"Chaeng-noona told mummy that you used to be really sad," Jihoon says, "and maybe if you had a girlfriend then you'd be happy."

"Ji, stop bothering Lisa," Rosé says sharply, beckoning her brother over.

Jihoon quickly squirms out of Lisa's arms before joining his big sister. And as he leaves, Lisa can't believe that she just received life advice from a six year old.

The next hour or so passes by fairly quietly. The twins soon disappear to watch television and the girls are left to gather round Rosé's kitchen counter with steaming mugs of hot chocolate in their hands. Rosé's home is warm and welcoming, and the combination only serves to help Lisa's body slowly relax.