Chapter Thirty-eight

It's the feel of Jennie's hand held loosely in hers that makes Lisa's heart flutter. The way her other hand is tracing patterns into the skin of Lisa's palm, the way that she can see every emotion flicker across Jennie's face as the film plays out onscreen.

Lisa is more than aware that she should be focused, should be following the story along with Jennie but she can't help but be distracted.

Jennie and Lisa cannot end well, and Lisa knows that. Lisa likes a girl who doesn't know what she wants, who wants no commitment, no labels, no promise of a future. But Lisa is so far gone that she's willing to take whatever she can get, however little or large that may be.

Lisa feels like she's the moth attracted to the light, desperate to get closer but destined to get burnt. This can't end well, but that doesn't stop Lisa from grasping on tightly to the few moments she's allowed before that.

"You okay?" Jennie's voice is just above a whisper.

"Fine."

"Really?" Jennie says, and her voice is taking on the tone of teasing now. "Because I'm willing to bet you have no idea what is going on right now."

"Sure I do," Lisa replies, "that guy just punched that other guy."

"Yeah but why?"

Lisa doesn't want to admit that she's wrong and so she does the only thing that she knows will make Jennie shut up about it all.

Lazily, Lisa leans over and places a soft kiss on Jennie's lips, pushing the other girl back into the cushions. Lisa lets her lips linger for a few seconds before pulling back, an idiotic smile on her face as she stares down at Jennie.

"You're not going to distract me that easily," Jennie says.

Instead of replying, Lisa gently presses her lips against Jennie's once again, her fingers trailing up Jennie's arm before resting by the side of her head.

"Still not distracted."

The pair continue back and forth like this for a few minutes, until Lisa is entirely sure that Jennie cannot claim that she is focused on anything other than kissing. The film plays on, nothing but background noise as Lisa continues to drink Jennie in. The other girl is so immersed in the kiss that she fails to notice as Lisa subtly reaches for the remote and switches the TV off before pulling back.

Lisa watches as Jennie blinks rapidly, adjusting back to the real world where her lips are no longer against Lisa's.

"Hey," Jennie says eventually, her voice slow, "I was watching that."

"I don't think you were," Lisa replies simply, teasing to her tone.

"Well it was keeping me entertained."

"I'm sure I'm capable of that."

Jennie looks up at Lisa with half raised eyebrows, a self satisfied smirk painted across her face.

"You sure?"

Lisa smirks right back at her, no longer a novice at playing Jennie's games.

"Well I suppose you can test me if you want."

Jennie simply nods and Lisa leans down to press their lips together once again. Lisa can't help but think that with each kiss, her time left with Jennie shortens, as if with each kiss Jennie is growing more tired of her. And so Lisa savours the kiss, draws it out, until the pair are both pulling back with matching smiles on their faces.

Lisa notices how Jennie neutralises her expression when she sees Lisa watching her.

It seems to Lisa that the two of them are playing a game. Both of them desperate to win, both of them not wanting to show which move they'll make next, and both of them so caught up in it that the rest of the world seems to blur into nothingness. Right now there's just them, just a Thursday evening doing nothing, and Lisa isn't sure she'd have it any other way, no matter how uncertain everything but this moment may be.