018. A WEDDING

A WEDDING
YOU

A WEDDING, a joyous occasion

A WEDDING, a joyous occasion... for some. For Jo March it meant losing her eldest sister to the incompetence of a man, someone who could never bring her far as much happiness as staying together as a family would. For Meg March, a wedding meant a lifetime of happiness and genuine smiles- for John Brookes was it for her. 

For Penelope Brooks, no relation to John, this meant attending as a regular guest with her longtime partner Peter in tow, as well as her parents and younger sister. 

Some may say this wedding could be viewed as a reunion of sorts, the March sisters and Penelope not seeing each other for the last three years. The blow up of Jo and Penelope's friendship causing a rift between the two families, but Meg, nevertheless, was too sweet and fond of Penelope to not invite her to the happiest day of her life. 

"Penelope!" Amy shouted, after the ceremony, running over to her and pushing through other attendants to get to the girl. Penelope broke out in an involuntary smile, having missed her passionate energy and childlike wonderment. 

"Amy Dear!" Penelope held her in a tight embrace.

"Oh Penelope, thank you so much for coming," Meg rested a hand on her shoulder, having came up behind her in the midst of Amy's hysterics, Beth trailing behind.

"Oh my, I would not have missed it for the world Meg! Congratulations, you and John are just perfect together," Penelope rested a soft hand on Meg's face.

"I don't like how she's just talking to them as if nothing has happened," Jo spat to her mother, watching her sisters interact with the woman she still longs for, always will long for. 

"Jo stop being frustrated with the world-"

"I'm not frustrated with the world Mother, I'm frustrated with me!" She turned to face her mother. A few guests in a close proximity turned to Jo after her sudden outburst. "I ruined things with Penelope,"

"Jo, Peter ruined-"

"No, if I just let go of my pride she would be standing here with me right now, not having him lurk over her shoulder like some lost little boy," Jo had enough of bottling up her repressed emotions from the last three years. "But I ruined things and now I'm going to have to stay here in Boston instead of going to Europe with Aunt March, because Amy's going instead and it's not fair-" Jo's emotions slowly began to get the better of her. "And now I've lost the best thing I ever had all because I am too stubborn," The volume of her voice dwindled as John clinked his glass against a fork to grab the guests attention.

"Hello everyone and thank you so much for coming out to celebrate Meg and I, we appreciate it greatly," He began, "But I would love to quickly turn your attention to another couple in the crowd as I believe one half of it has something very important he would like to say."

Penelope's arm was still intertwined with Meg's she looked around to find who John was talking about.

"Penelope," She turned around at the sound of Peter's voice.

"Oh my goodness," Cheers erupted in the crowd as Peter knelt down to the ground, one foot planted whilst the other rested on the grassy ground.

"Penelope Brooks, do me the honour of becoming my wife," It was not a question and Jo recognised that even in her rage fuelled stance, he never asked Penny to do anything, only told her. As she was lost in her own thoughts, Penny's answer was missed by Jo, but as the cheers got louder, she knew the answer in her heart. 

"I'm going home," Jo didn't wait for Marmie to give her a response, for she shoved her way through the surrounding fence and began to storm her way home. She heard as Laurie called out after her, but she only kept walking.

In all of the commotion, Penelope only caught a small glance of Jo in the distance. It always seemed she was so out of reach, in this moment especially. But she was to be wed, to be in love forever just as John and Meg, she should be happy.

But she couldn't help herself but to let Jo March run wildly in her mind, just as she had since the day that they met.