019. WASHINGTON IS CALLING

WASHINGTON IS CALLING
YOU

WASHINGTON IS CALLING were the words that Peter uttered to Penelope only seven days ago

WASHINGTON IS CALLING were the words that Peter uttered to Penelope only seven days ago. In that short week, life had turned on its axis for the newly engaged couple. They were set to move across the country, to live with Peters family, to stay and start their family together.

But alas, Penelope Brooks was never one to go quietly, in fact, she basked in the glow of grand entrances and exits. So a party was arranged. All of their closest friends and family members were invited to the Brooks estate to see off the young couple on the beginning of their forever.

With the festivities in full swing, Penelope's sights were set on finding one guest who hopefully was in attendance.

Jo March was quick to burn her invitation when a plethora of them arrived in their mailbox earlier that week.

"How can she just move to Washington like that on such short notice," She tore the delicate paper before throwing it into the fire, letting it become a pile of ash- never to be seen again. "Honestly, their marriage will crash and burn, they don't know anything about love,"

"And you do?" Amy quipped.

"More than you ever will," Jo pushed Amy's feet from the ottoman.

Amy continued to watch as Jo paced their living room, Beth's softly played song halting on the piano as Jo complained. Amy felt her heart ache for her older sister, for she knew she was in love- jealousy coursing through her veins at the mere thought of Penelope marrying.

"Jo, we must be happy for her! Peter is a lovely man-"

"Man?!" Jo scoffed cutting off Meg, "He is anything but," She shook her head, dropping all of her weight onto the couch next to Amy, resting her head on her younger sisters shoulder.

"Wether you like it or not Jo, Penelope is to be married this week and you need to be supportive if you ever want to be friends again," Marmie poked her head into the living room, "Jealousy doesn't look good on you,"

"Jealous?! I would hardly call myself jealous," Jo exclaimed with a huff, crossing her arms over her chest. "I just can't believe she's going to throw away her entire life for a boy,"

"She's in love with him Jo," Meg reminded her, "You shall fall in love too one day,"

Amy and Jo shared a quick knowing glance before Beth continued to play.

And that was why all of the March women, but one, ended up at Penelope and Peter's farewell party.

Penelope could not tell if the emotion coursing through her veins was disappointment or anger when the thought of Jo came to mind.

No, it was anger, she thought to herself as she watched her knuckles turn white.

Definitely anger.

She quickly took the red sphere in hand and stormed out of the festivities before grabbing an astray carriage, telling the rider her destination. She took note of the familiar yet forgotten aspects of the carriage ride towards the March house.

She had forgotten how a pair of the trees on the ride wrapped around each other over time, the overgrown branches intertwining like hands being held. It used to be Penelope's favourite landmark on the way to Jo's home.

The house had not changed much, same exterior and Penelope imagined the interior not changing much over the years either.

One thing that caught Penelope's eye sat upon the front porch step of the March household. One thing, person, she had not mentally prepared herself to see; Jo March.

Penelope silently waved off the rider of her carriage. The sound of horses trotting away caught Jo's attention, but with the following of high heeled shoes against the stone path- Jo already knew who's company she was now in.

Penelope slowly made her way over to Jo, sitting down on the step next to her in her royal blue dress. Silence piercing as they sat together for the first time in almost four years.

Penelope dropped the apple into Jo's lap. "I read what it meant," She admitted. Jo didn't verbalise her confusion, nor did she look at Penelope. "When you threw the apple at me,"

Jo took a deep breath before letting it out. "Ancient Greece,"

"Throwing an apple is considered a proposal, a profession of love," Penelope added. "If the woman caught it, she accepted,"

"You didn't catch it," Jo recalled painfully.

"I wish I did," The confession was enough to drag Jo's gaze over to Penelope. Penelope's gaze however, remain straight ahead as tears welled in her eyes. Their gazes did not meet.

Jo continued to take in Penelope's appearance, her curls an inch or two shorter than they used to be. Jo gave up on waiting for a returned glance, looking back ahead.

"Laurie told me he loved me," Jo admitted.

"Anyone with a working pair of eyes could see that he loved you Jo," Penelope let out a pathetic excuse for a laugh.

"He asked me to marry him," Penelope finally turned to look at Jo, her heart beginning to race with anticipation. "I said no,"

Penelope let out a sigh she didn't know she was holding in. "I never told Peter that I loved him," The realisation flooded Penelope's head, her response to his proclamation always being a passionate kiss or a tight embrace. "I have never told him I love him and yet I am to marry him," Frustration built in her chest.

"Why?" Jo asked quietly, "Why have you never said it back?"

Penelope's silence was answer enough, but she knew she needed to say it aloud to confirm it to herself.

"Because I love you Jo," Their eyes locked, hearts beating fast. Truth had never been more loud for such a small sentence.

"I love you too," A phrase Jo March proclaimed she would never say to another, but for Penny she would utter any words.

"But I have to marry," Penelope whispered, resting her forehead against Jo's.

"I know," Her voice broke, as a piece of her heart shattered, "I know," Tears fell from her face as she whispered.

"Forever my heart is yours," Penelope grabbed Jo's face, "I have loved you for too many years to let you go now," She began to sob softly, rubbing the pad of  her thumb over Jo's cheek.

"People won't tolerate us Penny," Jo sobbed, tightly holding onto her upper arm. "We cannot be together. We're abominations, vial-"

Penelope electrically connected her lips with Jo's. Hardened hearts became soft and fluttered in the newfound presence of love.

Jo grabbed the back of Penny's head, her fingers tangling in her golden curls. Pressing her lips harder, Jo slipped her tongue into Penelope's mouth, heavy breaths filling the silence.

No words could describe the feeling of relief the two women were feeling at this point in time. Their lips disconnected, foreheads still touching.

"I love you Jo," She whispered.

"I love you most," Her eyes closed as Jo attempted to savour her secret moment with her lover, who was soon to be wed to a man she did not love as her own.

"I'm so sorry," Penelope allowed another tear to fall.

"It is not your fault, you have to marry him," Jo relished in defeat.

"I may have to marry another," She whispered, "But my heart forever belongs to you, Jo March,"

act one, completed.