001. AT A GLANCE

( AT A GLANCE )
YOU

AT A GLANCE you could tell that Jo March wanted to be anywhere but the dance

AT A GLANCE you could tell that Jo March wanted to be anywhere but the dance. She was nothing like Meg, she would rather be at home curled up by the fire with her latest novel. Being in a fancy dress was not for Jo March.

Being in a fancy gown was for Penelope Brooks though. She loved everything about the dance, the music, the lights and especially the company. Penelope Brooks was always in company, she loved to be loved. She loved other people to be loved and to be with company also, so when she saw a young girl that looked around her age in the corner of the room- she knew what part of the room she would mingle her way through next.

The song soon ended, Penelope thanking her partner with a small curtsey. 'Always be lady-like, say goodbye with a smile' her mother would say. Ethel Brooks was in the midst of raising two fine young women, Penelope and Martha were her pride and joy. She always taught her daughters to be courteous and kind- that's why people enjoyed Penelope's company so much.

When Penelope bid her partner goodbye, she looked over in the same corner for the same young woman- but she was gone. She had hoped that a young man had come and whisked her off of her feet, or she had gone to fill her loneliness with food- sometimes Penelope wants to do the exact same.

Penelope spent the rest of her night laughing and rubbing elbows with some of the finest people of Massachusetts, all whilst Jo March danced on the porch with Theodore Laurence.

The night soon came to an end, the clock was soon to strike midnight and just like a 19th-century Cinderalla, Penelope was set to go home. As she walked out, the skirt of her dress within her gloved hands, she saw a boy helping a young woman into a carriage, the same girl from before scolding- claiming that she would one day 'kill herself for fashion'. Penelope chuckled to herself, she admired her spark.

Jo turned to see if their commotion was holding up any other carriages, but all she saw was a girl with golden blonde hair and a kind face already looking her way.

"What're you looking at?" Jo questioned her. Her right out bluntness startled Penelope, but not only that- she had also only just realised how gorgeous the girl was up close. A beauty that Penelope would only be able to describe as effortless.

"Oh, nothing," Penelope shook her head, "Sorry," Penelope nodded, hoping her carriage would arrive soon- either that or the ground would have to swallow her whole.

"Jo that was incredibly rude," A female voice reprimanded her, "I'm so sorry," Meg March's head popped out of the carriage, Penelope had recognised her from inside- they had switched partners on the dance floor more than once.

"No it's fine," Penelope smiled, "I was being nosey,"

"Well if it's any of your business, she's sprained her ankle-" Jo ushered Laurie into the carriage, "She is Meg, that was Laurie and I'm Jo," She took a step towards Penelope, "You are?"

"Penelope Brooks, you are?" Penelope asked with a smirk.

"Jo," She repeated, confused.

"Yes, but Jo what?" Penelope held her head up high, not trying to let Jo's beauty falter her stance- although it was incredibly close to.

"Jo March," She held out her hand. Penelope held onto Jo's hand and went to curtsey, but Jo pulled her up.

"I don't curtsey," Jo told her.

"I do," Penelope went down anyway, a cheeky smile sporting her lips. Jo let out a 'hm' in content, she was enjoying the exchange. Penelope knew as soon as she heard the wheels, that her carriage had pulled up- ready to collect her and take her home to her mother, father and sister. Her heart dropped a minuscule amount knowing she would have to bid Jo goodbye.

"That's mine," Penelope closed her eyes with a smile, "This is goodbye... Jo March,"

"That it is," Jo smiled, "I'm going to call you Penny, it's a good name," She nodded, "Penelope is way too proper for my liking,"

"What if I don't want to be called Penny?" She asked, a smile still prominent. Jo took a moment, leaning in as if to tell Penelope a secret.

"I wouldn't care," She whispered. Jo's voice felt like sweet honey to Penelope's ears. "Goodnight Penny," Jo bid the girl farewell, opening her carriage door, it taking off with her only barely inside of it.

"Goodnight Jo March,"

( TAG-LIST )
silverfalcons, jbassettt, mannequinn25, georgesmlths, neplutos, softlyiridescent, -icyblood + rxvenclxaws

if you would like to be added to the tag-list, comment here

if you would like to be removed from the tag-list, comment here