013. PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW

PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW
YOU

PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW, Penelope thought to herself as she watched Mr Brooks load up Meg's belongings

"I don't understand why Meg was invited and I wasn't, this is hardly fair," Amy whined to Penelope. Penelope did not mind Amy's attitude this morning, she had been dealing with Martha for the last eleven years. 

"Oh Amy, will you leave Penny alone," Jo walked past the pair and locked her arms with Penny's, taking Penelope with her,  "She does not want to be listening to your incessant cries for attention," Amy scoffed, crossing her arms. 

"Laurie!" Jo called out to him, "You take the other carriage and surprise her - make sure she doesn't fall in love!" She instructed.

"Yes, Captain Jo!" Laurie saluted her, walking off towards the other carriage.

"Oh mother! Thank you!" Penelope watched as Marmee handed Meg a beautiful necklace. 

"I've never understood saving jewellery until marriage - pretty things should be enjoyed," Marmee enveloped Meg in a tight hug. 

"Don't you agree Penny?" Jo swung around to face Penelope, moving a piece of hair from out of her face, a silly British accent flowing from her mouth.

"Agree with what Ms March?" Penelope over annunciated her words, her newfound accent causing her to sound posh.

"Oh lovely accent darling," Jo laughed, "But do you not think that pretty things should be enjoyed?"

"Oh why yes I do Josephine!" Penelope chuckled as Jo lost the playful glint in her eye.

"You don't get your gift now," Jo pulled her hand out of Penelope's grasp. 

"Jo, I was only kidding!" Penelope laughed as she stormed away. Penelope admired Jo from afar she she began to play fight with Laurie on the gravel. Penelope slowly laughed to herself as she strolled on over to Meg who was sitting in the carriage, her head poking out of the window.

"Have the grandest of times, Meg" Penelope smiled.

"Oh I will, thank you again for allowing me to borrow some of your dresses," Penelope had never seen Meg with this big of a smile before. 

"Oh it was no trouble, I have more dresses to last me a lifetime,"

"Don't forget about us," Jo walked over to the pair, putting her arm around Penelope's shoulder.

"I won't Jo, it's only a week!" Meg chuckled.

"Forgiven me have you?" Penelope looked to Jo's arm, with a smile.

"If you call me that again I will be discarding our friendship," A serious look sat upon her face.

"She needs to have some decent shoes," Hannah passed a pair of shoes too Meg.

"Thank you again for the carriage, Mr. Laurence. I don't know how to repay you," Meg grabbed his hand, pulling the older gentleman toward her. 

There is one thing -"

"Anything!" Meg burst. Penelope watched intently as Mr. Laurence's eyes flick to Beth, "It occurred to me today that my daughter's piano suffers from want of use," Mr Laurence looked to Marmee. "Wouldn't one of your girls like to run over, and practice on it now and then, just to keep it in tune? If they don't care to come, why, never mind." 

"Oh sir!" Penelope jumped at Beth's sudden outburst, "They do care, very very much!

"Are you the musical girl?" Mr Laurence kept his voice low, a private and sweet interaction between the two of them. 

"That is so kind of Mr Laurence," Penelope whispered to Jo.

"They are a very kind family," Jo whispered back.

"Drive on, and keep her safe!" Mr Laurence instructed the carriage driver. As Meg is pulled away, she waves goodbye to the abundance of friends and family who were seeing her off. 

"Come on!" Jo begins to run, pulling Penelope along with her. They called after her and ran as the carriage parted further and further away. and waves goodbye to everyone, they run down the road after her.

"It will be strange coming over and not seeing Meg," Penelope said to Jo once they had slowed down. 

"So you're actually going to visit this week? Instead of running off with-"

"Jo!"

"-Perfect Peter! The worst thing to ever happen to our friendship" The two girls began to bicker as they made their ways inside. Marmee had never seen anything like Penelope and Jo... Well that was a lie, she had; but only once before. 

"You'd think that they were married the way that they fight," Hannah mumble to Marmee as she made her way back inside. 

"You would, yes,"