Chapter 12~ Steve Rogers

I wake up bright and early because today is the day I ship off to Camp Lehigh in Wheaton, New Jersey. I change into my clothes which are some army pants and I put on a white t-shirt. I come to the Army pickup spot and all the men climb inside. They all smell like sweat and cheap cologne, I have to force myself not to gag. I walk into the back and sit down. The next thing I know a soldier comes up to me with brown hair.

"Can I help you?" I say since he keeps staring at me.

"Yeah. I wanted to ask, did it hurt when you fell?"

"Excuse me?" I say confused and annoyed.

"When you fell from heaven? Did it hurt? Cause you're an angel." He says confidently and I cackle.

"Move along sweetheart you're not my type."

"Are you sure about that?" He says moving closer to me.

"I think the lady said to leave her alone." A new voice said. It sounded velvety, annoyed, and kind at the same time. My heart fluttered which never, ever happens. The man turns around to face the voice and I get a clear view of him. Chiseled jawline, skinny, short, blue perfect eyes, and blonde hair. He was the best-looking man I had ever seen. Even though he could use a sandwich or two.

"Yeah whatever man. She ain't worth it." He says and walks roughly past the blue-eyed man. I roll my eyes at the guy and stick my tongue out at him like a kid. Blue eyes just chuckled at my gesture.

"Although I can handle myself, thank you for sticking up for me," I say smiling genuinely at blue eyes which never happens when I'm on the job.

"No problem just thought I'd help."

"Yeah? Well, why don't you come and sit down with me then?" I ask him smiling. He shakes his head and sits down next to me very respectfully.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Oh please don't call me that call me Y/N." I hold out my hand for him to shake. He returns the gesture and as soon as our hands touched I felt warm and dizzy. I felt happy.

"Steve. Steve Rogers."

"Nice to meet you, Steve. There aren't a lot of men like you out there. There should be more."

"I just don't like bullies."

"Is that why you joined the army?"

"Always wanted to but because of my size never really got the chance. How about you?"

"I'm doing it for my country. Plus they don't accept a lot of women so this is a one and a lifetime opportunity." Why do I feel dreadful about lying to Steve? I just met him and yet I can't stand this feeling.

"Are you nervous?" He asks me.

"No. Are you?"

"Maybe just a little bit. But I'd be happy to die for my country."

"That's a good thing but I would hate for those pretty blue eyes to go so quickly when I just got to see them." I smile at him. He blushes and smiles back.

"I just met someone pretty as well wouldn't want to leave her just yet either." He says all nervously which weirdly enough makes me like him even more.

"Never really flirted before? Have you Steve?" I said to him jokingly.

"Well no. Usually, when you look like me, not every girl is lining up to date. So I don't have a lot of practice.

"I think you're doing great. Plus, that means there's no competition for me." I say smiling at him, he smiles back with his perfect smile. I know it's not right for me to feel this way, especially on a mission but Steve Rogers whoever he is just made sure I won't be following the rules.

"Like there would be competition for you anyways you're the prettiest dame I've seen."

"Why thank you, Mr.Rogers, you sure know how to make a girl blush," I say laughing and he joins in.

"Could I ask you something?" He says.

"Sure."

"Why do you think they finally let you join?"

"I don't think the man who stamped my papers cared enough not to send me out here. Or maybe America is that desperate for soldiers."

"I wish my guy was that lenient. I've tried so many times to get in, on my last one the only reason I got in was that a doctor cleared me finally."

"What kind of doctor, must be special if just his clearing got you in?"

"I'm part of an experiment so he's a very special doctor. Deals with more science than I ever ould understand. It's crazy out of all the men they chose me. Still don't know why."

"I know why, you're a good man Steve. I spent what? A couple of minutes with you? I can already tell you're a good person." I smile at him.

"Hopefully the serum works."

"Serum?"

"Yeah, that's the experiment."

As the words come out of his mouth I freeze and my heart stops. Oh no. Oh please no. Not him. Anyone but Steve. "Y/N? Are you alright?" Steve says breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll give me some too." I smiled hopefully good enough so he couldn't tell I was a mess underneath.

"Maybe, I have a good feeling about you."

"Nah. People like me don't deserve special experimental serum."

"I don't think it's about what we deserve," Steve says looking at me.

"Well then maybe I'll try being the good guy," I said to him smiling then the bus stopped and everyone filed out. We walked and then stood in a straight line. An English-sounding woman came up to us and started speaking. I couldn't pay attention to her because I kept thinking about sweet Steve who I thought was the kindest man I'd ever met even though I haven't known him for long. Something in my gut, or the entity or something was warning me not to report back. I decided right then and there that I wouldn't report back to Hydra that night or the night after. These gut feelings are rare, and I have to follow them because they are usually right. Plus, this is what I was made to do. Betray. I don't need Hydra anymore anyways. I'll get what I want with or without them. I'm not a scared little girl anymore. Haven't been for a while but I've been dragging it out and now everything is falling into the perfect out.

Everything in my body is telling me to be careful that I had just met Steve, that Red is a dangerous man and it isn't worth losing everything. But I made my decision and I would die for it. Because there's something about that Steve Rogers and I don't know what it is. I finally feel free too and for the first time I'm unsure what comes next and I like it. I snap out of my thoughts when I hear a hard punch to somebody's jaw and I look over to see the man from before clutching his face and the English woman standing over him with her hand clenched in a fist.

"Agent Carter." The Colonel says. She stands down and straightens her jacket. The Colonel introduced himself as Chester Phillips and the woman was Peggy Carter. Then he did a once over of everyone and told them to get some rest for tomorrow. He pointed at me and spoke:

"You go with Agent Carter in a separate dorm."

"Yes sir," I replied. I walked up to Carter and I spoke to her. "I guess we are roommates then. Any advice?"

"Yes." She responds curtly. "Be the best." That's all she says as she walks into the room points at my bed and leaves.

What have I gotten myself into?