Chapter 19~ The 107th

After a long drive, we pulled up to our old camp. When Peggy was walking me through it I saw a change in the usual landscape. There was another bunker.

"Peggy that wasn't here before." I pointed at the bunker.

"You're right it wasn't. It was recently done for an underground base."

"Is this 107th some kind of spy division?"

"Not necessarily but they do have missions in which we need proper security and a place for them to get a debrief so we made a bunker for this sort of thing." The car pulls up to a stop. "Well, this is us. Are you ready?" Peggy asks me and I look at her.

"You know. I don't necessarily get nervous, but for some reason...I am. I don't like it."

"You have nothing to be nervous about. You can handle these guys, they act like a bunch of strong tough men but I promise they have nothing but fluff underneath all that. You'll be fine." Peggy reassured me and squeezed my hand.

"Thank you, Peggy. For everything." I said back.

"Of course Y/n." She opened the car door and walked out, I followed quickly behind. She opened the bunker and then put in the passcode for the elevator and we traveled down to the bottom of the bunker. When the doors opened the room automatically got quiet. It was filled with all kinds of workers but the one who stood out of Colonel. He walked up to us and I saluted.

"Good to see you, sir."

"Good to see you too Y/n. It's about time you came back."

"Sorry, sir."

"Don't be sorry. How's Rogers?"

"Good as one can be when benched sir."

"It's a shame, truly, but we'll get him back out there soon. I hope." The Colonel paused looking conflicted.

"Is there a mission for me sir?" I ask trying to break the odd tension.

"Yes, Ms. Y/n there is. But first, you should meet the team." The colonel started walking and I followed him farther into the bunker into some sort of map room filled with 6 men. As the colonel spoke I looked at each of them. "Right here is "Dum Dum' Dugan." He pointed to a man with red hair and a thick mustache.

"Howdy." He said and nodded his head. I nodded back lightly in response.

"Next to him is Gabe Jones." Gabe nodded and said.

"Ma'am." I smiled in response.

"Next is Jim Mortia."

"Hey there." He said and I waved back.

"Then James Mongomery Falsworth and Jaques Dernier."

"Bonjour madame." Jaques said. (Hello Madam.)

"Bonjour soldat" I said back smiling. (Hello Solider.)

"Tu parles français?" He said back curiously. (You speak french?)

"Je parle plusieurs langues." (I speak many languages.) I say back smiling.

"A woman of talent." He says in English. "It will be fun having you around." We shared a laugh then finally Colonel pointed to the last man. The one without a name, as if he needed one. Automatically when seeing him there was a flutter in my stomach. He gave this smile and spoke before anyone could introduce him.

"Bucky Barnes." He came up to me, took a hold of my hand, and kissed it. "Pleased to meet you doll." He smiled cockily but I remembered the name. Bucky. Steve's best friend.

"Bucky?" I said curiously and his smile quickly turned into a look of uncertainty.

"That's the name." He says. "Why? You like it?" His cocky demeanor came back up and before I got the chance to reply Colonel interrupted us.

"That's enough out of you Barnes. We got more important things to discuss. Ms. Carter." He nodded at her to start debriefing and she nodded back and spoke.

"We received a message from an informant about a possible Hydra ran location in the middle of  The Bavarian Forest. It's smaller than the usual hideouts but it's still occupying a small village and we'd like to get the villagers out safely and find out any information on why they located themselves in the forest." Peggy said. My heart started pounding at the word Hydra. It's been a while since I heard the name. Then I felt anger for the years I spent locked in those doors. Doing terrible things just so I could prove to be worthy of their admiration. It's crazy really, when I'm with Steve I don't need to prove anything, I always felt at peace.

"Are we shipping out tonight?" I ask trying to brush away my thoughts.

"20 minutes actually. The plane is waiting for you outside." Peggy says.

"Your mission is to locate the base, safely get the villagers out, and then find out anything you can on Hydra's operations there. Is that clear?" The Colonel says.

"Yes sir!" The troop said back. When everyone went their own ways getting ready to leave. I went up to Bucky.

"Hey Bucky, you wouldn't happen to be Steve Rogers childhood pal would you? " I said and Bucky immediately smiled.

"Ah it makes sense now." He says. "Why yes I am. And you happen to be?"

"I don't really know exactly...his close friend?" I said smiling. "I met him when I got sent here. He helped me get rid of a knuckle head." I said smiling, thinking about when I met Steve.

"He got in to the military? How?" Bucky said shocked.

"Signed up for an experiment to 'save his country'" I said with the last few words having a bit of attitude. 

"Sounds like him. What kind of experiment?"

"They call it Super Soldier Serum. Made him 3 times bigger, faster, and taller. You should see him now. Nothing like he looked before."

"Wow. Never thought I hear that." Bucky said surprised. "Why isn't he here? Is he okay?" Bucky sounded worried.

"He's all safe don't worry. He's selling bonds for the army. . They won't let him back to serve since he's the only remaining part of the serum alive."

"Oh god. Steve only ever wanted to serve and now he can't? Doesn't seem very fair."

"No it isn't. But when is anything fair to the good guy?" I said.

"Come on guys we got to go." Jim said and I nodded at him. Bucky and I walked to the plane together and I spoke.

"He talked about you." I said and I gave Dugan my bag to put in the plane and stepped inside.

"Oh yeah? What he say?"

"How you're his best friend. How you stayed with him when he had no one. All good things. He didn't mention however how good looking you'd be." I said smiling and Bucky laughed. A laugh that sent butterflies in my stomach.

"Well thank you I'm glad I don't disappoint." He said and then the plane's engine roared and I could feel us going up.

The rest of the plane ride Bucky and I spoke. I didn't quite realize it then but the more we talked to each other the more I fell for him.

And him for me.