Chapter 13~ Peggy Carter

"Wake up." I hear a familiar English voice speak.

"Ughhh." I groan out. The plane ride to New York took more out of me than I thought.

"Get dressed." Peggy threw a bundle of clothes at me.

"Peggy?" I asked her. She turned around sharply her eyes looking like she wanted to kill me.

"It's Agent Carter to you." She says swiftly.

"Fine. Agent Carter. Is there something going on here?" I look at her testing to see if she would tell me the truth about the serum. She walks up to me glaring.

"Nothing that concerns you. Now get dressed." She walks out the door. I took my eyes.

"Yes, Ma'am," I say sarcastically and put on my uniform. I look at the mirror and sigh. "One-day Y/N one day you'll be free." Then I heard the voice in my head. My voice.

Do you want to?

It says. And I don't even know the answer. Do I want to be free or will I forever be the perfect soldier? I shake my head and walk out into the bright sun. I catch the men in a group and Steve in the back.

"Hey," I say to him.

"Hey. Late start?" He says and flashes his amazing smile.

"Something like that." I smile back. Then the leader of the group speaks.

"We're running today ladies. I suggest you keep up or get kicked out." He says loudly and we all start moving.

"Could he kick us out?" I ask Steve.

"Probably not. Just using it to scare us."

"Lucky for us I'm never scared," I say and start jogging. I notice after a little while that Steve is having a hard time keeping up with my jogging pace and I slow down even more.

"You don't have to do that you know." I hear him pant between breaths.

"Do what? All I'm doing is taking a break, just so happens you're here." I turn and start running backward just in time to see him smile and shake his head at me. "Come on Rodgers keep up." I chuckle and turn back around. Then after a little while, we reach a flag pole and the leader is telling us how no one has ever gotten the flag and whoever does get the flag scores a ride back to base with Peggy. I think this might be a good chance to get to know her better.

The men start running on the pole like maniacs and I noticed that the one Peggy punched before was climbing the pole.

fall.

I whisper and he comes crashing down. I chuckle to myself and once they leave I look at Steve who seems to be thinking about the flag.

"Rogers, I say we 50/50 it."

"Oh yeah? What if I just take it down without you."

"You're a good man so you'll 50/50 with me." He shakes his head and then we move closer to the flag.

"The screws. You pull one out and I'll get the other." Steve says to me.

"Sounds like a deal." We walk up to it and pull the pins at the same time. When the pole is on the floor I pick up the flag and hand it to Steve to give to the leader. And I hopped into the car. Everyone is looking at me and at Steve like we were royalty. Rogers would be a good king now that I'm thinking about it. Most importantly I catch Peggy looking at me. I nod my head at her and she nods her head back. I guess my plan worked. Steve hops into the seat next to me and the car starts driving away.

"You remind me of my friend Bucky," Steve says suddenly. I turn my head at him.

"Really? How?"

"You both are tough but kind."

"You don't know me well enough yet to call me kind Rogers."

"Then let's change that. Would you like to go out tonight?" My heart skipped a beat and I involuntarily smiled.

"Steve Rogers I would be honored. You can pick me up at 8." He smiled and laughed.

"Yes, Ma'am." When we get back to base I pull Peggy aside.

"Hey, I know we got off on the wrong foot but I would like your help."

"What could I possibly help you with?"

"I have a date tonight. Could you help me with that?" Peggy eyes me up and down and sighs.

"I don't see why not. Come on let's see what I have for you." We walk back into our room and she starts rummaging through her trunk. "You should start by taking a shower and washing your hair. It's easier to do wet. Here." She says as she throws a blue dress at me. I flatten it out and it's a tight dress with a cutout on the chest.

"It's perfect thank you Peg— I mean Agent Carter."

"Yes well, it would be a tragedy to let that dress go to waste. Now go." I start to walk to the showers when Peggy speaks. "You can call me Peggy." I nod my head at her and walk out of the room. Progress. When I get back into the room my hair is wet but I'm wearing the dress. "Here put this under your hair so you don't get the dress wet." Peggy handed me a towel and sat me down on the bed and started doing my hair. "Have you never been on a date before?"

"I haven't actually. Ever. You?"

"I've been on dates. Not one in a while though. Men don't usually love women who can be strong and independent."

"Yeah, I guess that's why there are so many single men then." Then for the first time, I heard Peggy chuckle. "There must be someone though Peggy. Someone who just makes you feel....different."

"There is."

"What's his name?"

"I'm afraid I finished your hair so that means no more questions." I roll my eyes and start towards the mirror and look into it. I looked beautiful. My hair, thanks to Peggy, was put in a braid crown around my head.

"Thank you, Peggy."

"No problem."

Then there's a knock at the door.

Finally.