sakura tree

+*..*+
three years ago.
kitagawa daiichi junior high.

you wandered outside of the school as tooru was still inside, getting scolded by his coach for hitting a teammate. you had never seen such violent acts from your brother before; so why now?

you had a carton of regular milk in your hand that you had received from iwaizumi-san, who was one of tooru's closest friends. he had given it to you out of pity when he saw you crying.

as you walked aimlessly, you eventually stumbled across a boy your age, sitting alone on the grass by a sakura tree.

they were all balled up, and it was obvious that they seemed upset. so being the curious person you were, you approached them with quiet footsteps.

"hey, you!" you said in attempt to catch his attention. you looked down at him as he lifted his head.

your eyes widened. what a coincidence.

"oh.. hey." the same raven haired boy muttered over to you, his soft voice filled with much sorrow. you felt your eyes begin to water again at the sight of him so upset; all because of your brothers inconsiderate actions. you walked closer, sitting down on a patch of grass next to him.

"i'm sorry about tooru-chan. he isn't usually like that." you said sympathetically, placing your hand on his back to comfort him. he flinched with the contact.

"it's okay." the boy sniffed, lifting his head to back look up at you once more. you shined him your best smile.

"oh, i'm sorry. im oikawa y/n. tooru's sister." you took your hand off of his back and placed it in your lap with your milk. "but thats besides the point. you don't need tooru-chan's help. because.. you're the best. i know it!"

you weren't the best at motivational speaking, but as a first year in junior high, you believed it was good enough.

you gazed into the boy's eyes as they lit up with your words of inspiration.

"oh. and, you can have this."

you handed the ravenette the box of milk you held, in which he took it shyly.

"y/n, what are you doing? come over here!" you heard the voice of your annoyed brother call for you from afar. you gave one last nod to the dumbfounded boy before standing back up.

you brushed the flakes of grass off of your skirt.

"lets meet again, okay?!" you giggled lightheartedly with a small wave before leaving him by the sakura tree; all alone.

that was the last time you ever recalled seeing him. and you didn't even catch his name.

+*..*+