king

+*..*+

you stood in the girl's bathroom at school, leaning up against the wall with your phone angled down at your face. kageyama was calling from the other end so you picked up immediately, "hey, tobio!"

"hello." the ravenette smiled slightly, "how're you?"

"i've been better, honestly." you admitted, glancing over at yourself in the bathroom mirror. "what about you?"

"i'm okay. just tired." he took a sip from the box of milk he held in his hand. "i have a volleyball game this afternoon, so i had an early practice today."

"who are you up against?"

"shiratorizawa. if we win, we go to nationals." kageyama looked at you from his phone.

"that's great! i'm sure you'll do really-"

"can you come to it?" the boy cut you off mid sentence, making you pause and tilt your head slightly towards your phone.

"you want me to go? like actually-"

"yes." kageyama nodded profusely, "can you?"

"i guess i can. if i can get tooru on board with taking me.."

***

after changing out of your aoba johsai uniform and getting permission from your mother, tooru willingly drove you over to kageyama's volleyball game.

"i feel like i deserve to be paid for this." your brother sulked as he gripped the steering wheel with his left hand, his right resting on the gear shift. you rolled your eyes.

"stop acting like a big baby, tooru." your crutches rested against your legs as you sat down, "no one's gonna see you if you don't come inside."

"i guess. but still."

tooru didn't want to be seen at karasuno and shiratorizawa's match—you didn't know why, but you didn't care as much to ask him, "whatever." you assumed it might've been because he was embarrassed about the loss against karasuno.

eventually, after more whining from tooru, and a couple more minutes of driving, the two of you finally arrived at shiratorizawa's campus. the anticipation you felt inside was slightly overwhelming, as you felt both nervous and excited at the same time—

"can you get out by yourself?" tooru asked, in which you nodded your head.

"yeah yeah." you opened the door, grabbing your crutches, "well, thanks for driving me. come back and pick me up, 'kay?"

"of course, your highness." tooru teased, making you shake your head and leave the car. you approached the entrance whilst he drove off, seeming to be in a hurry. you didn't think much of it and simply laughed it off.

as soon as you entered, you took notice to the busy atmosphere that surrounded you. many people were conversating, mainly about the upcoming game and their predictions for the outcome, which was obviously no surprise due to the fact that it was starting in less than ten minutes. you had arrived just in time.

you made your way over to the gymnasium, though when you passed the water fountains, a familiar sight caught your eye,

"tobio!" you called out for the tall ravenette, in which he turned his head to face you,

"oh- hey y/n." he sent you a wave, his lips perking up slightly at the sight of you. you happily approached him,

"aren't you supposed to be getting ready for the game?"

"yeah. but coach ukai told me to cool down out here." he leaned his back against the wall.

you tilted your head slightly, "are you okay?"

"yeah. they were talking about me on shiratorizawa." kageyama sighed, his gaze moving down to the floor, "they kept calling me king of the court, and it pissed me off, so he told me to take a break before the game."

"king of the court?"

"it's an old nickname. my teammates made it for me in junior high because i was demanding and mean—but people still use it against me now, even though i'm not like that anymore. i hate it."

"but you aren't like that now, right?"

"what?" he lifted his head.

"they'll always talk down on you, tobio, and there's nothing you can do about it." you paused in between your words, "but what you can do is prove them wrong. you're not mean and demanding now, yeah?"

kageyama nodded, in which you continued,

"exactly. and in order for that to get through their heads—that you're not the same tobio kageyama from junior high—you need show them. and you have the opportunity to do that today!" you gave him a reassuring nod, "you, me, and the rest of your team—we all know you're a better person now. so don't let their ignorant words get into your head.."

"kageyama!" coach ukai peeped his head out of the gym, "you good now? come back in! the game's starting!"

kageyama looked over at him, then gave you a soft smile before leaving, "thanks y/n."

***

the look on shiratorizawa's faces when they realized that they had lost the last set against karasuno proved that they had been underestimating them this entire time.

you could tell that nobody was expecting this outcome at all. after all, not even seijoh had the ability to take them out, but out of nowhere, it was done successfully by karasuno. currently, they were all one big mob—the whole karasuno team coming together for one big hug. the first years were essentially being trampled by the olders,

"we're going to nationals!" sugawara cried with happiness rolling down his cheeks, in which azumane and sawamura did the same.

tanaka and ennoshita jumped over and hugged kageyama and hinata, pulling them close while nishinoya and yamaguchi did the same to tsukishima.

"come on guys, lets line up." kageyama grumbled uncomfortably as everyone latched onto him. he lifted his head, immediately making eye contact with you from the bleachers.

you gave him a thumbs up and a big smile—which was the most you could do from that distance. the scowl on kageyama's face softened as he gave you a nod.

eventually the whole team was lined up, each receiving a gold metal for winning the match. you couldn't help but laugh at hinata—he stood tall and proud, though he had the most silliest looking grin on his face, unable to get over the victory that they had just gotten. he deserved it though—they all did.

the awards ceremony quickly ended in order to prepare for the next match. you made your way over to the locker rooms,

"y/n!" hinata called out to you with his gym bag hanging from his shoulder, practically sprinting to the lobby to see you. and to no surprise, kageyama was following him from close behind,

"thanks for coming, y/n." the ravenette smiled slightly, using his arm to wipe the sweat dripping down his forehead. hinata nodded in agreement.

"yeah! thanks!"

a voice coming from the locker rooms invaded your conversation, "shoyo—come help get the gear!" nishinoya said whilst packing his own bag. the ginger sighed before giving you one last wave, then jogging back to help, leaving only you and kageyama,

"good job, tobio." you smiled as he looked down at you, "i'm proud of you-"

"really?"

"really! you were-"

within seconds of your response kageyama dropped his volleyball bag onto the ground, his arms carefully wrapping around your waist to pull you into a hug, "it means a lot coming from you. thanks. for everyhing."

not being able to return it with your arms occupied, you simply rested your head on his chest, "of course."

+*..*+